Grammatical Issues

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by aimi_aiko, Jul 14, 2011.

1. art

art Contributor Contributor

What is this 'out stationery' they speak of? :) An understandable little slip, I suppose. Leave off the first 'out' and the wholly inessential 'to reorder them' and the thing works a lot better. Tomorrow, put a marker pen to it!

I hear ya. That is just vile. I was at my dad's the other day and he did that very thing (while speaking on the phone to his car insurance folk), and I've never felt so genetically tainted.

I guess the things that most annoy me are the slips that I'm inclined to make...so, when typing quickly and not thinking...there when it should be they're and your when you're is required.

1 person likes this.
  2. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

lulz. That just made my day (yes, I'm easily amused).

3. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

That one made me feel confused recently. I always thought that it was Should have and then I even read Should of, (I think it was on this site too ) And i was like :confused: does that have some other meaning that i don't know? I wasn't sure which one of these I actually hear when people speak, confuuuusing. nice to hear that it's an error :D

4. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Sorry, the marker pen box in the stationary cupboard is empty. I didn't report it for reordering because I wasn't taking anything out. I wasn't taking anything out because the box was empty.

Now, about this hole in my bucket...

5. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Haha oh God, what did I start here. :p

It doesn't even really make sense, as not all stuff is in boxes.

I think the admin was having a vent that day, because I noticed she looked pissed off when she put up all those notices, one on every cupboard door!

Anyway, I'd have worded it differently. ;)

6. VM80

Knowing my luck someone would catch me do that, probably even her... :p

7. Cain

Cain Member

you might be interested in this article on the BBC; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14201796

It gives a list of americanisms that annoy the Brits (I could care less is last in the list). Some I don't understand at all - train station? It's a station for trains surely?

The main thing that comes across though is that there's a high correlation between grammar nits and the need for anger management courses...

8. digitig

Paul Simon got it right: "I'm sitting at a railway station...". After all, a train station could be for a road train, couldn't it? :D

9. Cain

Cain Member

bus station?

10. digitig

By the way, I was amused by how many of those were actually British English anyway. There does seem to be a correlation between getting worked up about grammar and not actually knowing what you are talking about.

11. VM80

Hmm I call it train station & I think many Brits do.

But then my English is a bit of a mixed bag. That's what you get for spending your childhood between a.o. England, Canada & New Zealand, I guess... different languages. ;)

What's wrong with 'my bad'? I kinda like that and use it a fair bit.

12. JPGriffin

JPGriffin New Member

The correct term would be "my mistake," although I really couldn't care less (Notice "could not") about something like that. My mistake is the intended message for both, "bad" just replacing "mistake." It makes the term broader, but at the same time making the phrase grammatically incorrect. "Bad" is an adjective, not a noun.

13. Ged

Ged New Member

Hypercorrection is just as much a grammar mistake as non-agreeing tenses, you know.

14. digitig

Except that "bad" is a noun, with just the required meaning, and has been since at least the time of Chaucer.

15. JPGriffin

JPGriffin New Member

"The bad walked down the road." "The bad killed a puppy." "The bad ran off with its carcass." It's not a noun.

"The bad man walked down the road." "The bad man killed a puppy." "The bad man ran off with its carcass." In all 3 cases, bad is an adjective, describing "man."

He was bad, she was bad, it was bad. All adjectives.

16. Ged

Ged New Member

So what? It's a quirk of the English language. Grammar can't encompass all specific expressions.

17. JPGriffin

JPGriffin New Member

Well that's the issue with it, as I said before. It's just grammatically incorrect.

18. Ged

Ged New Member

Depends on your view of things... I always found descriptive grammar far superior to, and more interesting than prescriptive grammar.

19. Cain

Cain Member

Truth that.

20. digitig

The Complete Oxford English Dictionary begs to differ. "Bad [...] B. n. That which is bad (in various senses); bad condition, quality, etc. Freq. with the."

Interestingly, the Longman Student Grammar of Spoken and Written English says that "bad" remains an adjective in all of those cases, but also says that an adjective can serve as the head of a noun phrase, so all of those cases (along with "my bad") are still grammatically unexceptional. The disagreement between the COED and the Longman Student Grammar of Spoken and Written English is presumably because in that construction the word in question has properties of both adjectives (eg, it can be gradeable) and nouns (eg, it can take an article) so it's a sort of word-class limbo.

21. JPGriffin

JPGriffin New Member

^ I stand corrected, although it doesn't seem as strong as when used as an adjective.

22. digitig

The adjectival use is more common, but the fact that "bad" is a noun as well as an adjective does mean that "my bad" isn't a grammatical error.

23. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

That's a circular argument. The dictionary reports common usage, whether or not it is grammatically correct. By your argument, that legitimizes the common poor usage that the dictionary reports.

Eventually, some such misuses do become pervasive enough that they become a part of the language. Perhaps some uses of bad as a noun are legitimate - the phrase "the big bad" has been around long enough as a noun phrase to be legitimate. I woiuld grant that more legitimacy than the horrid use of "leverage" as a verb. But i does not mean that every usage of bad as a noun, reported by dictionaries, is accepted.

The use of the pronoun "me" in a subject context, and "I" in an object context is widespread and incorrect ("Jack and me met at the arcade." and "The storm caught Julie and I by complete surprise"), but simply reporting such usage does not endorse it.

24. digitig

Common usage by some of the best writers of the language over the last 500 years. Did you see who I was quoting? You use the term "grammatically correct"; what do you consider makes something "grammatically correct"?

25. Ged

Ged New Member

Don't you think it's interesting, the way English doesn't have an official academy to regulate how it works? And yet it's more widespread than French or German or a whole load of other languages. English is sort of democratic with its rules.