1. The Piper

The Piper Contributor Contributor

Passing Bills (UK)

Discussion in 'Research' started by The Piper, Oct 19, 2017.

Hi everyone!

In my story, I’ve basically got an evil politician (always a good way to go... eeh we’ll see) who passes a bill through parliament.

What I really want is for my main protagonist (a police officer) to discover a copy of the bill, have a read, and find that there’s more to it - details that were never mentioned publicly. And quite a lot of them.

What I’m asking is: is this realistic? Or would every single detail be given to the press?

Thank you, really appreciate any help on this!

Piper

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Not realistic - with 650 MPs plus a bunch of lords seeing it anything dodgy would leak, not mention that the proceedings of parliamentary debates are recorded in Hansard https://hansard.parliament.uk/

Of course if a bill pertains to National security it could be unreported and discussion not publically available but the MPs would still see it

3. The Piper

The Piper Contributor Contributor

Thank you for this, that’s really helpful to know. I’ll see if I can find some way round it story wise :)