1. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Graphic novel recommendations

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Robert_S, Apr 16, 2014.

Several people suggested I move my story to graphic novel to put it on a medium other than feature length movie script so I have more control over the story and character rights.

So far, I've read "Watchmen," "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen," vol 1 and 2 of Gaiman's "Sandman" series, "Lock and Key Vol 1." I"m currently reading "V for Vendetta."

Any others, good ones with good art that you guys and ladies can suggest?

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Maus by Art Spiegelman. It's really good.

3. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

Depends on what kind of things you are interested in. Superheros? Fantasy? Funnies? Collections of serialized comics? Things specifically written for publication as a single volume? "Graphic Novel" means something different to everyone, so if you are just asking about comics, please say comics. If you have something more specific in mind, or a certain "high art" sensiblity you are looking for, please specify.

Without any such stipulations, here are some of my favorite comics. Maybe you'll like them too.

Plastic Man (2004) 1-20
    Moon Knight (2006) 1-30
    Animal Man (1988) 1-26
    Cable & Deadpool
    Myth Adventures
    Cerebus
    Empowered
    Groo the Wanderer

4. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

Frank Miller's Sin City and 300
    Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead
    There's a lot of Deadpool that's crap, but if you can find the 4 issue introduction, that's pretty good
    So obviously there the X-men Days of Future Past
    I've said for a long time that Batman Nightfall is really good.
    And of course that means reading The Killing Joke

5. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

Never been crazy about this. An interesting story, but never liked the chicken scratchy art. I wouldn't call it "good" art.

6. Jack Asher

Oh! and Y, The Last Man has a lot to offer in terms of concrete storytelling.

7. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I place more importance on the story than on the artwork. But I don't read graphic novels in general, and Maus is actually the only one I've ever read (as far as I remember). So I don't know how the art in Maus compares to the art in other graphic novels.

8. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

Have any of you read the Adventure Time comics? They seem to have a very different style of humor than the tv series, less subtle and more self aware. I also noticed one major discrepancy in the characterization of The Lich, where in the series he is very terse and grim, in the comic he was a chatty mustache twirling villain. Anyone know enough to make other comparisons with the show?

9. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

I care a lot about the art in comics. The style isn't totally out of the norm, there are certainly a lot of other series that are black and white with those kinds of simple anthropomorphic caricatures, but I found the graininess and generally "busy" look visually unappealing. The simple designs seem aggressively overworked. Perhaps it helps set the tone for the holocaust story (making it visually uncomfortable) but it was a distraction for me.

10. Jack Asher

And there's Tin Tin too! Great art, long lasting stories, and the tiniest bit of imperial racism.

11. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

Ha ha ha! "Tin Tin in the land of the Soviets" is a great little slice of pulp fun with a very amusing touch of old timey propaganda.

12. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

If I understand what Maus is about, I think the caricature is very important symbolism. Perhaps even the fact it's black and white may be important to the story.

13. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

Oops, read 300. I didn't actually like the storytelling. Found it too mechanical.

14. Jack Asher

If you didn't like 300 you probably won't like The Dark Knight Returns of Sin City. Frank Miller is...more interested in visceral scenes then he is in cohesive story.

He's also a complete asshole.

15. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

The symbolism was pretty simple. Jews = mice, Nazis = cats to clearly show one as prey and one as predator, and he said he chose not draw the Nazis as particularly villainous looking and to make all the characters minimally anthropomorphic and the same size so as not to overly direct the readers impressions from the visuals. Bit of a half-hearted effort if you ask me. Otherwise it is simple to make it the look match the winding oral narrative of the story, but I honestly don't see that as actually helping the telling of the story. Really the business, text density, and lack of depth just make your eyes hurt when you read it for too long.

16. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

Frank Miller writes narration and dialogue the way 10 year olds imitate Batman. :p

Jack Asher likes this.