1. frigocc

frigocc Contributor Contributor

Can't, For The Life Of Me, Figure Out My Antagonist Or My Climax [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by frigocc, Jul 11, 2019.

Very frustrating. I have my general idea. Writing a humorous, absurd space adventure that is similar to the style of HHGTG and others like it. I have ideas of different scenes, places to go, things to happen, and where the climax ultimately happens, but I can't think of both an antagonist and a climax that are both humorous AND part of an overall well-thought-out plot.

Basically, my story follows Lou, an average Earthling who mostly keeps to himself, and is far from the adventurous type. He spends his days eating chips on the couch, and complaining about nearly everything under the sun.

His world is turned upside-down when an alien spacecraft lands outside of his home, and this odd group of 3 people inform him that he's The Chosen One.

After much debate, and a conversational battle of wits, they ultimately convince Lou to come with them, albeit begrudgingly. He is told that they must locate an ancient being that is said to possess the weapon needed to defeat the evil Zoltar of Nebula 6 Zed.

He goes on many adventures, has a lot of humorous setbacks, but ultimately, is brought before this ancient being. Lou is told that laughter is his real weapon against Zoltar . . . oh, and here's a gun. You can't kill someone with laughter. Befriend him, then shoot him in the back.

So they go off. Go through some barriers to finally get to Zoltar, and then . . . <---here's where I'm lost.

Thinking of having something ridiculous, like the antagonist having Alzheimer's or something.

Hi, I'm Zoltar! Who are you?

"Lou? The Chosen One?"

"Oh, okay . . . what do you want?"

"You're supposed to kill me?"

"Right now?"

"Yes."

"Of course!" Zoltar exclaimed. "Who are you again?"

"Lou."

"Hi, Lou! I'm Zoltar!"

Dumb, but maybe something like that. I dunno. Or maybe have the evil version of the Chosen One still be a baby, and some charlatan "translating" its "goo goo, gah gahs" into "execute the prisoners!"

Just some twist that kinda flips the Chosen One stuff on its head. Could maybe even be as simple as the climax with the antagonist being a battle of wits in conversation, like Tom speaking to Melichrone in Dimensions of Miracles (even though that wasn't the bad guy).

What do you guys think? Would this we a dumb, unsatisfactory climax?

2. Spurs06

Spurs06 Member

If your thinking of going all out on the humor, The dumb baby idea is the one I'd go with. A person/alien, who says he has a psychic link with an "Evil baby" would be so much fun to write as well as read.

3. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

Humor is supposed to be dumb, because it makes the reader feel more smart compared to the characters.

4. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

That works with dumb audiences. They don't read much. That's why that works mainly in tv-series and movies. And even then... well... how to put this... It works mainly in those countries where people think that news = sports + celebs.

jim onion likes this.
  5. Matt E

Matt E Ruler of the planet Omicron Persei 8 Contributor

Seems like you have some pretty decent ideas. I'd say just do what works comedically. You have to try it to find out. The Hitchiker's guide doesn't really have a unified antagonist (in the books). I don't think it needs to be the focus at least.

There are several different paths to humor. It would be closer to say that humor is about things that don't fit. The baby as the secret bad guy is a good example, it is out of place, so if executed well, can be funny.

6. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Have the antagonist be an alternate dimension version of Lou. The difference is that he has ambition and is going to take over the galaxy. By killing him, Lou proves his slacker status. Then you roll the plot backwards and make an issue of Lou's coming to grips with responsibility. No one believes in him because the Chosen One is the only one "motivated enough" to kill the antagonist, and Lou isn't motivated at all. But as it turns out, his anti-motivation is the perfect weapon ("motivated enough" meaning exactly opposite in polarity to the antagonist . . . nobody understands this until the end). The hero/antagonist meet like matter/anti-matter and that destroys them both. Some love interest brings Lou back though. So he gets his happy ending.

frigocc likes this.
  7. frigocc

I will say, I'm really trying to avoid "dumb" comedy. Yes, I want it to be ridiculous, absurd, and out of this world (literally), but not dumb. I want it to have a real point, a real purpose. The comedy can be there, but there will still be an overarching plot. I was thinking about it all last night, and I think I may have figured out what I want it to be. Maybe it's been done a million times before, but I think it may make for a good story.

So my story will start with the opening line of, "Lou was happy." It tells you all about how he's satisfied with his job, likes his coworkers, and, as said before, how he's happy.

One day, he's pulled onto a spaceship against his will, and is told that he's the Chosen One. He goes on all kinds of crazy adventures, some of which bring him closer to his destiny, and some of which don't. They eventually arrive to where they need to be, and the showdown begins . . . well, not really.

Lou goes to this planet to see what's wrong, and finds out that Nebula 6 Zed is actually a pretty neat planet. It's well-put-together, has common sense policies that allow the economy, and the people, to thrive, and it's virtually without crime. It's simply not in need of a savior.

At first, even though he wasn't ecstatic about being the Chosen One in the first place, he's disappointed. He resigned himself to simply going home, and wondering what could have been. But then, he thinks about the adventures he's been on, the friends he made, and the people he helped, and he realizes that he never was, in fact, happy on Earth. He now understood that with these people, on this ship, going to all these different places, he was exactly where he needed, right where he belonged. Lou, you could say, was truly happy.

Some cliche crap like that. Basically, Lou is perfectly happy in his average, middle-class American life. He's told he's the Chosen One, and is forced to face his destiny against his will. Through all of his trials and tribulations, he realizes that he was never really happy on Earth, and that exploring the universe was where he really needs to be.

I hate that I'm even writing that, because it seems to rip off so much from HHGTG, but that's what I truly think the ending should be.

8. frigocc

That's actually a cool plot. But that's your story, you should write it!

But regarding my post above, I guess I don't really care if it seems to rip off anyone. It's my story. For a long time, I struggled to find my identity, and tricked myself into thinking I was happy living a boring, normal life. As I started pushing myself out of my comfort zone, I found there's so much more to the world than I thought. I want that to shine through with Lou.

Seven Crowns likes this.
  9. Spurs06

Spurs06 Member

I should have worded my reply differently. By dumb I was going by your description “dumb , maybe something like...” I didn't Think the idea was dumb. Maybe I should have written “dumb”

10. frigocc

I gotcha, no problem.

Anyways, I think I'm leaning towards there being no need for a savior, and the Chosen One stuff being a bunch of crap