Graphic Novels...

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by jamescarroll_uk, Jan 7, 2008.

1. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

^^^^ X_X wow... pretty good stuff you got there bay writer.

THe big defining characteristic between Eastern and Western Comics is big. The Eastern comics tend to be drawn in a more simple style that has a heavy emphases on roundness and flowing strokes. Western comics tend to be more detailed and edgy (And are colored in making them nicer to look at in my opinion though on occasion the color can be destracting).

Beyond art style, story design is also defining. Western Comics have evolved in a manner that they now take place in alternate reality where super powered heroes exsist in the real world. This streatches all the way back to the comics of WWII. World events are often seen effecting the Marvel and DC universes. Sadely I can't help but feel western comics are dragged down by their constant association with the classic superhero, whose popularity in recent years has been waning.

Eastern manga tends to be less event driven and more chracter driven. Western comics often have the characters put into a situation that leads to another situation so on and so forth. Eastern Manga tends to have characters create a situation which leads to other affected characters creating more situations and the plot is driven thus forth. Eastern manga also tends to have a much more stylized manner of showing emotion and feeling with over the top face expressions.

This varies of course as every artist has their own uniqe style. Some even mix eastern and western stylizations to create hybrids.

2. Ferret

Ferret New Member

The parts of your soul you refuse to recognize.
    It's a cultural thing... Things originating from the West tend to be... less extreme, if you will.

Science fiction tends to be more fantasy when it comes from Japan.

Also, comics from the major publishers usually attempt to address social issues, as from what I know, manga tends to avoid. Tony Stark: hero or giant ass?

I mean, things have a resounding effect on the entirety of the publishing firm in the west. Writers have roughly sixty years of history to deal with.

Most of what I want to say has already been said.

3. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

It's a cultural thing... Things originating from the West tend to be... less extreme in terms of some Western views.

4. Klee

Klee New Member

That's not exactly true, lots of manga deal with daily life, although most is school relates, there are manga that deal with issues such as work and marriage. Social issues such as murders and international relationships are normally avoided more in anime.

5. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Marvel has been really delving into social issues recently. I think its less pronounced with DC. Manga and Anime are more often than not more of story for the sake of story, which reflects the cultural differences between story telling in the east and west. It is a cultural thing.

Tony Stark = Gregory House with power armor

6. Baywriter

Baywriter Contributor Contributor

Well, I'd rather train my eyes. I've never traced to learn. I'd rather just practice drawing. But that's just me.

And to be honest, I don't like FMA all that much anyway. I actually drew it for my sister. I just kept it because it took me so long. I was proud of it.

7. TheFedoraPirate

TheFedoraPirate New Member

Say, how do I post pictures on here? I've got some things I could post.

8. Klee

Klee New Member

Wouldn't it be better to start a drawing thread instead?

9. MarcG

MarcG New Member

Click on the "Manage Attachments" button in the full Post Reply page.

10. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Do you see the picture of a mountain on a yellow background just above the text box? Press that and enter the web address of the picture. (I believe it's the 'display' URL if you're using Photobucket.)

Or you can do what Marc said to upload it from your computer.

11. TheFedoraPirate

Here's three...I tried to keep 'em small, but that last one wouldn't ever work out right .

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Klee

Klee New Member

This is some awesome work! I salute you! I like the third one best.

13. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I like that their stylized, making them unique and different. good stuff.

14. TheFedoraPirate

@Klee: I'm glad you like that one. I like him too since he's my main chara, but he always seems to get trumped by my other characters. :D

@Lordofhats: heh, my style evolves from liking anime but not being able to stand drawing a "standard" face shape and unpickable noses.

15. LinRobinson

LinRobinson Banned

Nice artwork.
    And I think it's really cool that you're working in graphic novels, FedoraPirate. I've got a screenplay I'd LOVE to convert to that format, but alas, I can't draw.

16. chaplainandrews

chaplainandrews New Member

There are some good comic book writting books out there--my favorite being Peter Lord's "Writing for Comics." Too me, who hasn't really done it, it seems like writing a screen play of some sort--writing with images in mind, then have someone else interpret it out in the novel. Give it a shot! I'd love to see it!