1. Boomstick10995

Boomstick10995 Member

Great Plains Setting

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Boomstick10995, Aug 27, 2016.

I'm planning on setting one of my stories in a small(ish) town in a plains state in the US (possibly Oklahoma). I've never been, but wanted to know if there's anything I should be aware of to keep it authentic? Are there any research materials you would suggest (books, articles, websites, etc.)? Kathleen Norris' Dakota: A Spiritual Geography kind of inspired this and the setting fits perfectly with my story's plot. Thanks for any help and suggestions!

jannert likes this.
  2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

What era will your story be set?

3. Boomstick10995

Boomstick10995 Member

Modern day, 2016

4. Zorg

Zorg Member

I used to live in Wichita but there was frequent travel to Oklahoma - usually just Tulsa. I would travel through some 'smallish' townships and such - Arkansas City, Ponca City, Newkirk. The best description would be that although there is still a sense of the bucolic, there is some modernization involved with the time that renders the small town feel a little less obvious. It's not to say that it's disappeared entirely because there are still reminders of the history of the area. The geography is what gives the communities their 'flavor.' I would recommend looking at photos on Google or visit the government website (as some will have videos) of particular towns to get an idea of the look.

5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I'm no help about present-day Oklahoma, etc, but I just got done reading the most eye-opening account of the Dust Bowl years—The Worst Hard Time, by Timothy Egan. That decade changed the landscape forever, and what used to be plains filled with grass turned into what was damn near like a desert. I imagine some of that still lingers in places, and it certainly never returned to what it was before. It's hard to see modern times without also seeing the history of a place.

6. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

I'm from Oklahoma (Tulsa/Broken Arrow), and extended family lived in small towns (Blackwell and Braman). We'd visit on holidays and such. I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but I can say that agriculture plays a very large role. Even if they aren't farmers or ranchers themselves, a lot of people were involved in the agricultural industry.

7. Zorg

Zorg Member

I was going to recommend this also, but the OP was inquiring about a modern day setting. That being said, I also agree that The Worst Hard Time is a fantastic book.

jannert likes this.