1. nburwell

nburwell New Member

Greek Mythology

Discussion in 'Research' started by nburwell, Apr 15, 2008.

I was in the library the other day and I realized that I had never been able to find a definitive volume of all of the Greek Myths with no opinions or summaries accompanying them. I asked my librarian if there was any such book in existence and she told me to ask the Library of Congress. I emailed them and they said that no such comprehensive volume appears to exist.

So, I am going to collect all of the Greek Myths, hire a translator, get an editor and publish it myself (well... not self publish, but I will be the one putting it into action...). It will put me on the map and will start my writing foundation. Plus, it does not require any previous experience because the text is already written and it is already known that people will want the book for reference and education.

Then I will still submit the short stories to the Literary Journals and in a few years, I will go to publish my first novel :)

What do you think?

~Natalie

2. Darkthought

Darkthought Active Member

Lucky...:mad:

3. nburwell

nburwell New Member

I don't think your smiley came off the way your wanted it too... But I got your point. Hugs.

~Natalie

4. Darkthought

Darkthought Active Member

Yeah it was supposed to be more angry than sad. Oh well.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It sounds like a challenging project. The text we used in my World Mythology class last fall, Leeming's The World of Myth, contained a good collection of myths, including the Greek mythologies. Some of the myths were uncertain in the details - variations had spread as oral traditions to the point that determining the original, authentic story was next to impossible.

By all means, go for it!

6. nburwell

nburwell New Member

Thanks Cogito!

7. Slippery

Slippery New Member

Can I preorder the first copy, autographed? It'll be worth a ton when you're famous. :)

8. nburwell

nburwell New Member

LOL, unfortunately I have no way of guaranteeing that you'll get it. I could send you a napkin with my signature on it, though, lol. Thanks for the support. Hugs.

~Natalie

9. AWR

AWR New Member

10. Milady

Milady Active Member

I think this is a worthy project.

A couple of years ago, I went through a stage where I read anything I could get my hands on pertaining to the Greek mythology. I remember being exasperated at the lack of solid reading material: most of what I found was either too laconic and spare in detail or was accompanied by almost just as much unnecessary opinion and connections.

So go for it. You could do it as an anthology or collection of them, serialized, though, since the original myth is so interconnected, I think it could do great if novelized.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i think/know you've bitten off a great big humongous hunk to chew on... one that should keep you out of trouble, during the many years' worth of a mythologist's frustrating fun it should take to compile a modernday comprehensive text on all the greek myths... it's a task i'd love to take on myself, if i wasn't dirt poor, hitting 70 in a few months, and not likely to live long enough to see it to fruition...

in re hiring 'a translator' et al., i hope you've lots of disposable income, as that's what it'll take to bring this dream to life... as for the text being 'already written' i've no clue what you mean, since the myths, like all myths, were handed down orally, the only ones written 'at the time' appearing in homer's iliad and odyssey, as well as various other golden age greeks' writings [including in some of the plays]... and so many much-later-done translations of those were made, that no two are exactly the same... for your translator to be translating whatever 'originals' exist, s/he would have to travel around to the museums of the world, where bits and pieces of this and that may reside...

all that depressing down side aside, it's an ambitious goal and one i hope i'll live to see attained... if so, i'll be first in line for a copy... AEяA!

love and hugs, maia