1. Rumwriter

Rumwriter Active Member

Exceptions to quotation rules?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Rumwriter, Dec 22, 2013.

Typically, ending punctuation goes within quotation marks. e.g. John said, "Go to the store."

However, here are instances where it seems to not work so well, and I'm wondering if there are exceptions to the rule, mostly concerning question marks, though not necessarily:

1) What about if you are using titles of works, such as short stories. e.g. Have you read Raymond Carver's "Cathedral?"

In this instance, it makes the title look like "Cathedral?" rather than "Cathedral"

2) Suppose you have the following situation: Did he just say, "I hate you?"

In that instance, I've followed the correct rules by putting the the question mark inside the quotes, but now it makes it look like the person asked "I hate you?" rather than declaring it. Though these are perhaps not the best examples, you can see the point I am trying to make. What are the rules here?

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Here's a link to the relevant page on the Purdue Online Writing Lab website. It should answer your question.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

in US usage, only the comma and period always go inside the " "... !s and ?s go in or out, depending on the context...

Pheonix likes this.