1. Parachutes

Parachutes New Member

Wotcher!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Parachutes, Nov 24, 2008.

Hello! I'm excited to have found this site! I just googled "writing forums." Isn't that exciting? ...Kind of.
    I've been writing for many years. I'm fairly young, but I think I have a good eye for writing. I've always loved to writing! I'm currently finishing my first full novel. It's fantasy, at about (roughly) 500 pages thus far. I'm so excited to complete it and begin the re-writing process, WHICH just so happens to be my absolutely favorite part of the writing process. The part where you get to just re-read your own work before anyone else gets a chance to and make all the notes you want on it. And then as you re-write it you get even more ideas, and find more and more ways to develop a certain character. It truly is where the magic happens.
    Ah, and so I rant about writing. I could literally spend hours talking about literature and writing. That is why I'm so excited to have come across these forums. Most of my friends aren't too keen on writing or literature. Their idea of a good novel is Twilight. So I look forward to reading everyone's writing here! I've already snooped around a bit and read some! I cannot wait to start discussing with some of you, and even posting my own writing so you guys can chew on it!
    I love hearing people criticize my writing as strange as it sounds. I just love it when people actually take the time to read what I've written and write out their thoughts. It's how any writer improved. No one is born a star, we're just born empty canvases, with an open imagination and the ability to stare at a blank word processor for endless hours....which I have done more than anyone I can think of.
    I love writing to music!
    Ahhh, and so I rant again.

I live in the central part of the United States. Grand fun. I'm currently planning on attending college this spring as an English Literature major. I hope to finish, re-write, edit and complete my first novel before the summer of 2009 and begin to seek publication. I'm a huge publication nerd. I've read so many books about it, and even more about the actual writing process.
    Some of my favorite books include, Harry Potter, A Series of Unfortunate Events, The Eragon Series...(okay enough with the huge mainstream books! Hehe.) I also love books by John Green; Paper Towns, An Abundance of Katherines, Looking for Alaska, books ABOUT Harry Potter, such as Harry, A History, etc. I also love Animal Farm, 1984 (anything by George Orwell,) The Great Gatsby, Fallen Angels (amazing book!), ANYTHING Fantasy, and poetry by Simon Armitage. My favorite poem ever is titled "the Shout" by said poet.
    I tend to dislike modern teen fantasy/lit, such as Twilight Series, Wicked Lovely, the latter Eragon series books. I find that most young authors today (or older authors writing YA books) tend to write really crappy books. I wish they wouldn't.

Wellll, I applaud anyone who endured that, erm...speech? Haha. Talk to you later! =]

2. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

You're so happy and enthusiastic it makes me want to poo sunshine! xD
    Lol but really that is meant in a good way. I love 'half-full' thinkers. :p
    Not to be bias because I'm one of them... but.
    Never mind that!

Well, I'm glad that you are so excited about joining WF, it's a wonderful forum! :) I hope you get out of it what you had hoped for. And I'm positive you will.

Soooo welcome!

3. Parachutes

Parachutes New Member

Pooing sunshine? Seems ...bright? Haha. Would it also smell like daisies?

But thanks for the warm welcome.

4. Solaris

Solaris Active Member

No but it might burn your nostrils. :p

And no problem. :)

5. Parachutes

Parachutes New Member

:eek: I enjoy my nostrils!

:D Thanks again, though.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Parachutes, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Posting your own work should not be the very first thing you do here. It is really worthwhile to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

7. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

Good intro Parachutes! Welcome to the forum.

8. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

i found the site the exact same way and WF comes up first under Google search! Welcome to the forums:p