1. lifeisastory

lifeisastory New Member

Hello, I'm the new one!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lifeisastory, Oct 16, 2015.

So, to make it quick: I'm young woman from Germany who has written little (or big) stories ever since she can think. I love it, it's just such a brilliant way to recharge and come to terms with my inner world (even if I'm writing about something totally unrelated). Especially suffering from Depression and Anxiety, writing has been one of the best remedies I've had. Just recently I started getting together with a good friend regularly (we both write for fun) in order to exchange ideas and written pieces. It has shown me, how much writing buddies can help and how important and refreshing exchange in that area can be. So here I am: Looking forward to having great conversations with anyone who approaches me in a friendly Manner and an open mind.
    Greetings, M

2. Aidan Stern

Aidan Stern Active Member

Hi, I'm Aidan! You'll enjoy it here, it's a nice friendly (sometimes ;)) place. Be sure to read the rules, they're very helpful.

What do you like to write? What genre? I like your avatar. Are you into calligraphy? I like calligraphy. I'm also fascinated by foreign language. I'm learning German art songs. It's an interesting language. :)

3. lifeisastory

lifeisastory New Member

Hi Adian, my real name is Lena :)
    I'm so excited! It's very good to be in touch with like-minded people.

I like to write short stories, I'm very much into the horror/thriller genre but I also enjoy psychological issues. When working on Novels I tend to drift into the Fantasy Genre, however I'm not big on inventing "new worlds" and magical creatures. Generally I am open to any genre with the exceptions of Romances. These I can not stand at all! It's fine if they appear as a sub plot but even then they often annoy me.

I do like calligraphy, I own a few books and equipment and like to use my skills for handwritten letters or christmas cards (I know, very old fashioned :D)

What do you mean you learn german art songs? Do you mean you learn the lyrics or the technique? It is a very interesting language and I love writing in german. However, some things are just best expressed in English.

4. Aidan Stern

Aidan Stern Active Member

Lena, that's such a beautiful name! I like it. I might use it for a character of mine, it's really pretty. :) Pronounced Lay-nah, yes... no?
    Short stories are good. I love psychology, horror and thriller...I don't seek it out, but I'm very open-minded. I like most genres, sci-fi and fantasy are good ones for me to write in, also general fiction. I Romance has to be written well and tastefully. I've never read a hard-core romance novel, and I don't plan on it any time soon. Subplots are okay, but they often get in the way of the main plot, or it becomes too much subplot and hardly any main plot.

Not old fashioned, artistic and careful. I love calligraphy. I have a few sets and books like you, but I'd really like to get more into it. It's a beautiful art. And then when I get a steady hand, I'd like to go into illumination, as in the illustrations on ancient manuscripts kind.

Art song as a genre refers to art songs as a musical composition that is usually intended for one voice and some accompaniment. It is most often associated with "classical" music. Two years ago, I worked on folk/traditional songs, and English art song. Last year, I worked on American and Italian art song. This year I am working on German and French art song.
    You seem to have a very good grasp of the English language. Did you grow up bilingual, or did you learn it at an early age? English is nice, easy for me as it's my first language, but I am unrealistically fascinated by other languages. My current favorites are Italian, French, and of all things, the Celtic languages; Welsh in particular.

Examples of Art Songs:
    • Nymphs and Shepherds - Henry Purcell
    • I Attempt From Love's Sickness - Henry Purcell
    • Pieta Signore - Alessandro Stradella
    • Tu Lo Sai - Giuseppe Torrelli
    • Ich Liebe Dich - Ludwig van Beethoven
    • An Sylvia - Franz Schubert
    • Notre Amour - Gabriel Faure
    • L'ecrivisse - Francis Poulenc

5. DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse Member

I definitely nodded merrily and smiled when I read your description of recharging and coming to terms with your inner world, I hope you continue to do this and find a lot of energies around these parts :)

lifeisastory likes this.
  6. lifeisastory

lifeisastory New Member

Hello Dancing Corpse,
    Thank you for the nice welcome. It is indeed very refreshing to have good conversations with like minded People who value the written word and a healthy Imagination. A virtue, which unfortunately is not so common to stumble upon.

DancingCorpse likes this.
  7. DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse Member

A healthy imagination is a strange thing for people to comprehend sometimes I feel!