1. HonestAbe

HonestAbe New Member

Greetings and Salutations

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HonestAbe, Mar 13, 2017.

A little over 40 years ago my mother, a commercially published writer of serial love stories, radio show continuity, and a series of historical radio episodes on Indiana history passed away. She left me with a very long manuscript of a historical fiction Civil War novel. She had tried to get it published unsuccessfully. I am now revising it with the hope of publication. I joined this forum in an attempt to get advice on several aspects of rewriting and revising a novel. She had written it on an Underwood manual typewriter (she lived before the computer age, but she was good for 60 or 70 wpm). I am retired now and have time to put all the words into Microsoft Word. I have not commercially published but have done quite a bit of technical writing in the engineering field.

2. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Contributor Contributor

Hello and welcome to the forum @HonestAbe. This is a great and supportive platform for aspiring writers and anyone wishing to improve upon their craft. I wish you the best of luck :).

3. HonestAbe

HonestAbe New Member

Thank you Fernando C. Hope I can get some help here. - HonestAbe

4. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Hello @HonestAbe , Salutes to you too. I was tasked (about 5 years back) with converting a WW1 Pilot's flying log to digital. Rather than copy type it, I used an Epson scanner and some OCR software. It did the trick and there were only small errors here and there. The original was in remarkable condition though, with the letters being crisp and clear. Certainly something to consider; the kit's pretty cheap nowadays and I imagine the software's only improved.