1. Shorty82

Shorty82 New Member

Introducing myself

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Shorty82, Jul 6, 2020.

Hello to you all,

How are we? I wanted to introduce myself as I joined a couple of years ago and was too scared to post or do anything at the time. I'm Gemma and I've been writing short stories, fan fiction, scripts and attempting a novel (more recently) since I was 13. I just love bringing my characters to life, each of them has a little of me in them and my dream was to write a novel and turn it into a film (I said it was a dream, I was 13). When I was 13, a lot of novels were turned into films, that and my favourite author is Nicholas Sparks.

I'm still reading, writing, blogging, anything to keep my creative ideas flowing but I haven't shared my work in years (only my blog) as last time I did. A story of mine was ripped to pieces and since then I'm terrified of the criticism. That being said, I have taken two creative writing courses during the lockdown and I am really wanting to write my first novel.

I would say I write young adult fiction. No older than 25. I think I've pretty much covered it all over the years. Ghost stories, love triangles, celebrity crushes, family drama, teen tearaways with a twist, time travel, a touch of comedy involving a near-death experience and an ex-boyfriend encounter. I think the only thing I haven't covered yet is aliens and crime-drama but there is still time!

I'm really looking to help others with their ideas, while getting some help on my own. So please, come and say hi. Share your ideas, whatever you need.

2. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

Couple, Gemma? A couple of years ago? *cough cough WecanseeyourJoinedDateUnderYourPicture cough cough* hehe :) I kid, i kid.

I know how you feel on your characters each having a little of you in them, im much the same. All the main characters I write have at least one aspect I identify with, even if they are horrifying, evil people.

That's one of the things about being a writer, you have to develop a thick skin, no matter what. Just remember, though, if that person who ripped you to pieces didn't actually give you any practical advice on what needs to improve, then they, too, were terrible. Bad criticism is unconstructive criticism, especially for writers. And another thing I always say around here - all of us were terrible writers, once. Bar none. And no matter -how- good you get, you will -always- get some people who hate your work. The important thing is you learn from any mistakes you can identify, and going to creative writing courses proves you're trying to do that. So pat on the back! :)

How about an alien crime-drama? :D Two birds, one stone!

Anyway, welcome back to the forums, Gemma!

3. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Hi Gemma, and welcome from me.

4. Shorty82

Shorty82 New Member

Thank you guys, I noticed it was 4 years ago I joined after I posted! oops. hahaha. I'm hoping to learn a lot about myself. I'm always learning, my writing (like you say) will always be bad to someone. I remember showing a friend something a few years ago. I was so proud of the intro and it was everything I wanted it to be. Her response was constructive she said "the girl was too emotional" and "it was annoying". I kind of got what she was saying but she had a tough life. But I went back and took on board what she said and it was so much better.

Thank you for the welcome :)

Steve Rivers likes this.
  5. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Hello, and welcome. I hope you like it here.

Shorty82 likes this.
  6. Kyle Phoenix

Kyle Phoenix Active Member

Welcome to the forums Gemma. It sounds like you have a lot of ideas and enthusiasm to share. I hope your time here will be a rewarding experience. :)

Shorty82 likes this.
  7. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Welcome, Gemma. I love hashing ideas, too. Watcha got?
    (@mention me if you want me to check out a thread you post)

"I promise I will not rip your work to shreds, but I might nibble at the corners" :D