1. JPColson

JPColson New Member

New here looking for advice?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JPColson, Oct 25, 2018.

Hello, I am looking to write my story. I am a 3 time suicide survivor crashed a car into a wall at 75MPH and 2 hangings. If anyone would be willing to help me I would appreciate it.

2. JPColson

JPColson New Member

3. Drinkingcrane

Drinkingcrane Active Member

What kind of help do you need?
    Do you have an idea for a story?
    Is your story about suicide?

If you have an idea about a story my suggestion is to knuckle down and write it.

I think the subject of suicide is a good one, especially when told by those who have first hand experience with suicide. I don’t like when suicide is treated trivially or used as shocking plot device.
    Suicide causes intense complex emotions in bothe the victims and survivors that imo is good material for fiction. Writing can also be therapeutic and help process difficult emotions.

So please be more specific as to the help you need.

4. Artifacs

Artifacs Senior Member

Welcome to the forum, and back.

5. JPColson

JPColson New Member

Hello! My plan if to write from my first attempt to my most recent. The emotions I felt, the isolation, the fear, and then the peace from each attempt. I am having a difficult time starting writing because I am not sure where to begin. I journal everyday so I know I can do this I just need a starting point. It seems to escape me when I sit down and try to write. My mind wants me to start at so many different places. It seems like a battle starting out :/

6. JPColson

JPColson New Member

Thank you!

7. Drinkingcrane

Yes this issue comes with it a complexity of emotions that can be hard to sort out.

Simplify

Start with one emotion: fear, start with one moment when you were afraid.

Why where you afraid, under what circumstances where you afraid. What was going on outside of you,who where you talking to, where were you. What was going inside of you what where you saying to your self.

Draw a picture, I doesn’t matter how it firsts in to the whole that will sort itself out the more pictures you draw.

I have written in this manner and in the end the whole emerged and fit together nicely.

8. JPColson

JPColson New Member

Thank you I am going to try this it sounds promising!

So would I do this with every emotion I felt each time, or will just starting with the one bring others to life for me? I have had a TBI and O2 deprivation in my frontal left lobe so my skills are not as sharp as they use to be. I really appreciate you helping me out. If you do not mind would you be filling to help me out along the process if I would want someone to read and let me know if it is just horrible? I have a lot of fear in doing this and I am going to post it to the world when my foundation opens so I have about 2 years for that so i have time to write it.

9. Drinkingcrane

Start simply and see what grows from that, what associations emerge. I will help any way ia can. I’m a beginner at writing so I’m not the best person. My advice is wait a few weeks and post what you’ve written in the workshop forums

10. JPColson

JPColson New Member

Oh that is a good idea! Thank you again! I will keep in touch.

11. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

Have you read any memoirs by people with similar experiences? That will give you some idea of how to approach the topic.

12. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

What kind of help are you looking for? If it's help in writing, put something down where we can read it.

13. JPColson

JPColson New Member

Thank you I am working on this now :)