1. Mousetower

Mousetower New Member

Greetings from Borneo

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mousetower, May 27, 2019.

Hi everyone. I'm new here, so I thought I should introduce myself.
    My name is Chris. I am from England but am currently living in Borneo with my wife and daughter. I write as a hobby, but like so many of us, I would like to make a living from it one day.
    I have a blog on the go at the moment (but I don't think I can link to it here), I have recently started writing on Medium, and I am currently working on my first novel. The basic premise of my book is that a guy is sent to Hell due to an administrative error.
    At present, I pay the bills by teaching English. In the future, I hope that I won't have to.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  2. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Welcome to WF. I'd guess that not many of us have been to Borneo. From the Rules about Signatures:

"Personal non-commercial sites, such as your personal blog, are allowed."

*Correct, in general, but please see below. New Members are restricted on this issue. - Jan

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2019
  3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    :superhello:Welcome to the Forum.
    Good luck with your first novel, and have fun. :supersmile:
    Take this Shark Edition.jpg

4. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the forums! We share some similarities in that we're both English and live abroad (well, most of the time anyway) and teach English as a foreign language. (I assume you do? Online or in classes?)
    I've learnt a lot on these forums and it's a great community of people, enjoy your time here :)

5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi! I'm one of the new moderators, and want to extend a personal welcome. Somebody who is working on a first novel will certainly find many kindred spirits here.

It looks as if you've already checked out the Rules section, but for quick reference, here are a few links that might be helpful.
    New Member Quick Start
    Forum Rules
    https://www.writingforums.org/faq/staff.68/

* Regarding the blog issue, I am assuming that the blog reference in the Signatures section refers to what is allowed in a signature. The earlier reference in General Forum and Forum Posting Rules is about when a new member is allowed to post a blog link.

My interpretation is that it's okay to include a link to your personal blog (that contains no advertising for yourself or any product)—but only AFTER you have passed the New Member stage, and are a full-fledged Member of the forum. That will be after you've spent two weeks as a New Member and have made at least 20 posts wherever you like on the forum. Check the New Member Quick Start for more information.

I am checking with my colleagues on the blog issue, and will get back to you if my interpretation is incorrect.

Anyway, hope to see you on the threads, so we can get to know you better. :)

Cheers, Jan

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

...update on the blog issue:
    Three other moderators have concurred that you can link your non-commercial blog to your signature, but only AFTER you have fulfilled the requirements for membership and have become a full Member. The designation "Member" will appear under your avatar and name, replacing 'New Member.' :) I believe the Signatures section of the Rules has now been reworded (or will be reworded) to make this clearer.

Cheers for now,
    Jan

7. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

I'd love to "hear” about Borneo. Mundane life, things that are different and how that effects you and your family, food, lifestyle...

jannert likes this.