1. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Greetings from Sacramento

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JLT, Mar 6, 2016.

Greetings, all.

I'm a retired sailmaker, tent-maker, health inspector, hang-gliding instructor, factory foreman, and Lord knows what else. I've done a few gigs as treasurer of a non-profit educational society on a district and regional level. Now I'm having fun writing, blogging, and playing music with a few close friends, usually on instruments I've made myself.

I also worked for a publisher back in the 1970s, doing whatever needed doing ... editing, paste-up, typesetting, plate-making, negative stripping, and all those other skills that have mostly vanished with the advent of desk-top publishing.

I've written some things for profit, including a self-published book that went into the black about a year after it was released and is still selling few copies here and there. I have another one finished now but still unpublished, and I'm hoping to get some input from the forum members here about the best way to get that done in the current publishing world.

This site looks seems to be an awfully big playground, and I'll need some time to figure out what's where and so on. So it will probably be a while before I do much to add to it.

Thanks for letting me come on board!

2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Welcome to the forum! We're honored to take you on board! ;)

Here's our New Member Quick Start to get you started. If you're interested in sharing your work, make sure to read the Writing Workshop bit carefully.

Anyway, sounds like you'll fit right in, so have fun exploring the forum. :)

-Kat

3. JLT

Thanks!

4. JLT

It's been couple of weeks now, and I haven't found the answer to a question I have about the Writer's Workshop: Does one's critique posts have to be in the same category or genre as the category that one may submit a work to for critiquing? For example, I feel that I can critique poetry, songwriting, and non-fiction, since that's where most of my experience has been. But I have a couple of pieces in the categories of mystery and inspiration that I'd like comments on. Can I submit them, or must I put critical comments in those categories before I'm allowed to post there?