1. Aasin

Aasin New Member

Hi guys

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Aasin, Jan 29, 2020.

Hello guys. My name is Aasin. I always viewed topics in these forums, but never joined before. I write stories to pass the time. I tried submitting them to some publications, but never had any success. I decided to finally join the forums, and maybe get further insight from other writers on how to improve. For now I am interested in e-zines since they seem more open to accepting new publications.

As for the type of stories I like to write I prefer to write outlandish stories. My last story is about how raccoons took over a farm and are stealing the milk from the cows. Another story I wrote was about a guy who can speak to squirrels and how he saves one squirrel from being kept as a pet of a very cruel guy. Crazy stuff like that.

2. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Sounds like fun stories. Love the outlandish. Welcome!

3. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

Write on, brother-man. My first published work was with a magazine. I got a whopping eight dollars and eighty cents, a check I will never cash. There are a lot of helpful people on this forum, and I’m sure you will enjoy your stay, so welcome aboard.

4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi Aasin, and welcome to the forum! I'm one of the moderators, and you are free to contact me if you encounter any problems getting settled in. Just click my owl avatar and 'start a conversation' with me, and I'll do what I can to help.

But if you've already been browsing the forum for a while, you're probably acquainted with how it works already. Just make sure you read our New Member Quick Start and our Forum Rules, so you can keep on track, in terms of what we do and don't do.

Hey, your story ideas are certainly unique. If I ask you 'where do you get your ideas?' will that make you feel like a famous author doing an interview already? :) Mind you, I imagine raccoons DO take over farms and they would certainly steal milk. So maybe you have experience.

Outlandish and maybe whimsical sounds good. I want to ask—are these stories for adults or are they aimed at children? I imagine they could straddle both areas quite well, depending on the language level you choose to write in. The topics could entertain children, but also give adults something more cynical to look at? Were you aiming at publications with certain audience preferences?

Anyway, your refreshing take on story creation is certainly welcome here. For starters, you might want to take a look at our short story and flash fiction contests. I believe both of them will be using prompts in the February contests, so the prompt might produce some really 'out there' ideas in your head. There is no barrier to entry, so you can enter as a brand new member, if you want. And it's a good way to not only get yourself known (after the contests are over, the writers are revealed) but maybe exercise your story creation powers as well.

It's also a very good idea to visit our Workshop area and do a few critiques for other members. You have to do two critiques for every one of your own that you post for feedback, so you could get a head start on that. And the writers REALLY appreciate the feedback. If you want to know what we expect from a critique, this should help:
    https://www.writingforums.org/threads/constructive-critiques.20627/

Anyway, I am really looking forward to seeing you around the threads. Just dive in, get to know us, let us get to know you, and have fun!

Cheers for now,
    Jan

5. Bascomb Brown

Bascomb Brown Banned

Welcome! Have you thought about joining some of the fiction apps that allow people to upload their stories for general public? Not many people give feedback, but they can definitely bolster confidence after getting a rejection, since people are reading them for free and you can say 'Hey, someone read my story!'.
    I know for the fantasy there is Dreame, and Wattpad for other genres.

6. Mikelindo

Mikelindo Member

Greetings fellow friendly fur-lover! Hope you find what you're looking for here. I'm looking forward to reading some of your peculiar stories!

7. Aasin

Aasin New Member

Hello everyone. Thank you for the replies. As for where I get my motivation from...I am unsure really. I have always liked funny songs like 'What does the fox say'. I think they are very clever and it is difficult to make such a fun song especially with how music is currently these days. I have always been good with children and children love these outlandish stories so it helps.

As for the writing critiques I will look into them thanks. I had Wattpad before. I guess I could post on there again. It seemed a lot of the stories were romantic in nature last I remember. Sure I can give it a try though. I will look into the contests as well!

8. LucatheRat

LucatheRat Active Member

Hello!

Looking forward to reading the raccoon tale!) Publishers do return papers, but that happens to tons of worthy stuff too. Sign me up for text testing.) That animal theme reminded me of Kenneth Grahame, hope you'll write your own "Wind in the Willows".)

9. RightWrite

RightWrite Active Member

Hi there! Welcome to the forums. :) Those cute raccoons up to no good again! ;)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020