1. gaja

gaja New Member

Greetings from the far north

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gaja, Feb 23, 2017.

My head is full of stories I'm struggling to get out on paper (or into the computer). English is my second language, but since I use the traditions from all around the Polar circle for my work, much of the world building and character development is done in English.

Looking forward to exchanging words with all of you.

jannert likes this.
  2. Bill Chester

Bill Chester Active Member

Hi gaja,

Welcome. I used to have a bellows with the character in your avatar. He was carved into the wood. Is that a Norwegian icon?

Bill

gaja likes this.
  3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I did not know the Polar Bears had a language. :superlaugh:

View attachment 9314

gaja likes this.
  4. gaja

gaja New Member

When the Norwegian fairy tales (bit of a misnomer there, few pretty fairies in the Norwegian folk tales) were collected, Theodor Kittelsen illustrated them. This is one of his nicer pictures, of an old Troll that is trying to figure out how old it is. He also has some nightmare inducing ones, like this of the Nykk fishing: http://kodebergen.no/sites/default/files/styles/large/public/field/image/kittelsen_n%C3%B8kken_2.jpg?itok=WVrem6SP By using shapes that you can easily see in nature, but giving them eyes and sharp teeth, he has made generations of Norwegian children afraid to go swimming in the lakes.

That is part of the problem; they have several very different ones, from the Scandinavian ones that are quite similar to English, to Finnish with their love of consonants and complex grammar, to the different Inuit languages where one word can be long enough to cover a couple of pages. And then there is Russia. The biggest problem is of course trying to interview the bears, as they will rather eat you than talk to you.

The same problems are true for the people living along the polar circle.

(Couldn't open the attachment, BTW).

Some Guy, Bill Chester and jannert like this.
  5. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Hi gaja, and welcome to WF! :)

Nice to see more Nordic folk on the boards. I don't live near the Arctic Circle myself, but I've got enough snow and darkness to worry about here on the south coast of Finland, too, thank you very much. :D

Do you write fantasy where you use Norwegian fairy tales for inspiration similar to how e.g. Andrzej Sapkowski uses Polish/Slavic mythology in his Witcher books?

Here's our New Member Quick Start to get you started. See you around!

-Kat

gaja likes this.
  6. gaja

gaja New Member

Thank you for the welcome and useful link. Compared to the rest of the world, we both live relatively close to the Arctic Circle. I'm a climate refugee in the south during the winter months, but try to travel north as soon as the sun rises above the horizon.

I use fairy tales, the Sagas, Edda, and historical sources to build a world where the trolls, fair folk, selkies, werewolves, etc, live side by side with us in the modern world. But I'm also working on retelling the old tales for children and YA books. My main source are the old songs, especially the Faroese kvædi tradition. These stories are less known than the fairy tales we know from the children's books. The movie Troll Hunter (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trollhunter) is closer to my world than the stories by Sapkowski appear to be. In my grandmother's tales there were plenty of grey zones, no clear cut good and evil or real monsters. She was convinced her great grandmother's aunt had been a selkie (a nice lady, very pretty, but not the sharpest knife in the drawer), that the people living in the stones and hills could be reasoned with as long as you treated them decently, etc. She once said she preferred the modern life, because it was exhausting trying to remember and adhere to all the rules that came with the traditional beliefs.

KaTrian and jannert like this.
  7. Whitefire_Nomura

Whitefire_Nomura Member

Sounds very interesting. Specially if you can find a way to bring the long forgotten legends of ol and breath new life into them.

gaja likes this.
  8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Oh, I so look forward to seeing what you're writing. I LOVE these kinds of stories. My house is full of books containing folktales from various corners of the world, but my favourites are definitely the ones from northern Europe. And of course that also includes Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark AND Siberia and Russia as well.

gaja likes this.
  9. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

WELCOME!

gaja likes this.
  10. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Just ask Sulo how to.

11. Artifacs

Artifacs Senior Member

Welcome, :)
    I guess it's cold up there all the time. (Brrrr) ;)
    Hot coffee and a nice fireplace at night sounds like a good writing environment.

Have fun!!

12. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Nice to hear that tradition with Finnish roots interests you.