1. Unripe Plum

Unripe Plum Member

Greetings

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Unripe Plum, Oct 31, 2016.

Hi all,
    I'm an off-and-on writer working on my first novel. I feel the need of the support and encouragement of a community of writers, and would love to help others with the same.
    I'm a professional editor and have more than 10 years experience with working on newspapers, magazines and books. I hope this will help me provide constructive criticism to those who seek it.

Looking forward to making magic with you all!

2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Welcome to WF! :)

Here's our New Member Quick Start to get you started. If you're interested in critiquing, feel free to head to our Writing Workshop! Also, if you're planning to post something of your own, that'd be the right place. :)

See you around!

-Kat

3. Unripe Plum

Unripe Plum Member

Thank you both!

4. ThistleMae

ThistleMae Member

Howdy! I'm sure your editorial work will help you tremendously. We could definitely use some of your sage advice. I'm working on rewriting my third novel, and trying to find an agent. It can be discouraging, so...I found this site where we can support one another. So far, it's helping quite a bit. Welcome.

5. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

Welcome Unripe Plum. :)

I paused at reading your name, but then I realised maybe you just didn't want to be eaten! So I won't feel sad for you that you're unriped, even if you sound like a seasoned professional of words.

I know you wish for magic, but I sold that story to another unsuspecting noob in another post, SO... *thinking*

You've been rudely and prematurely plucked from your tree, but luckily you ended up in the WF-fruit bowl like the rest of us. It's crowded in here though, we're stacked on top of each other and we don't always get along. Some are supportive, some love to complain, some wished they could leave the bowl and get some peace, but then they get lonely and are at greater danger of being made into fruit salad. So they return to the bowl, where it's safe and caring, despite all the jostling. The point is, as a group, we're colorful and it can be fun.

There are definitely some crazy bananas around (@matwoolf) -- not me. There are also the usual sour fruits -- cough -- not me! But there are enough genuine sweetness and generosity that if you roll/rub politely around in the bowl, you should hopefully find what you need.

*Reads back what she wrote and shakes head*

Hopefully, I've not scared you off. Lol But it's probably a good time to distract you with pointers to our WF comps.

To settle in, I highly recommend the quickie comps (Poetry or Flash Fic), they don't take long for a bit of lighthearted fun. If poetry is your thing, you must enter the Haiku comp. It's only 17 syllables and involves a nuke!

Voting for Flash Fic -Stripping Naked: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/voting-for-flash-fiction-contest-36-stripping-naked.149032/

Enter Haiku comp: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/poetry-contest-278-theme-image-005.148928/

I look forward to your work being posted in the workshop!

Good luck, stay in the bowl and have fun!

Linny

PS: Whoa! I wrote an essay! Hehe

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2016
  6. Unripe Plum

Unripe Plum Member

Thanks for that fruity welcome, Linny. My username actually is not about fruit at all. Plum is the nickname of my favorite author, PG Wodehouse, and I model my writing style on his work. But of course I am not quite there yet, hence unripe.
    I will eventually poat aome work here but right now I am learning a lot just from posting feedback and thinking about other people's work critically. It helps me verbalize assumptions and rules that are in thr back of my head molding my writing. Naming them helps understand them better and use or ignore them.
    I used to write poetry back in the day but I do very little of that now, but I might just try my hand at it.

VynniL likes this.
  7. Unripe Plum

Unripe Plum Member

Sorry for the typos in the post above - fat thumbs!