1. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Unexpected Musical Preferences

Discussion in 'Word games' started by Simpson17866, Apr 3, 2017.

So the idea is to: take the song that was provided by the previous poster; come up with a character who likes that song, then come up with a second song that's supposed to be completely different from the first song provided, but which your character also likes because they've made a personal connection between the two that other people might not have; a third song that's extremely similar to the first song, but which the character doesn't like despite the similarities; and explanations for why the character likes the first two songs but not the third one.

Finally, you come up with a fourth song for the next person to work off of as their first song. (Bonus points if, in addition the character that you come up with from the prompt, you also talk about one of your existing characters who likes two songs that are different, but dislikes one that's similar to one of the two they like).

For example, if I was given "Bodies," by Drowning Pool I might say

Devon is a metal-head who loves listening to Beethoven's 9th Symphony because Beethoven's contemporary critics said the same about Beethoven that the critics of heavy metal today stereotypically say about heavy metal – just angry, mindless noise – and because Devon considers Beethoven to have been the first metal-head.

However, Devon has no interest in "Down with the Sickness" by Disturbed: because he feels that the chunk in the middle about the narrator yelling at his abusive mother is awkward to listen to; not because of the content, but because the fact that it's spoken rather than sung breaks the poetry of the song lyrics before and after.

Amy Carmine takes great pride in being a Chaotic Evil serial killer, so she listens to songs about sociopathic violence, like "Kinda Outta Luck" by Lana Del Ray, in the same playlists as happy, family-friendly songs about personal freedom, like "My Life" by Billy Joel.

However, she doesn't like the line in "When You're Evil" by Aurelio Voltaire about pledging allegiance to some dark lord and doing exactly as she's told (though she has no problem with her Lawful Evil best friend loving the song for exactly that line, and she has no problem with Lana Del Ray singing "I did what I had to do" because it wasn't other people telling her that she had to do it).

And I would then provide "Angel of the Morning," by Juice Newton for the next person.

That's you :)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I have idea senior. What about we base a character that likes the song of the previous
    poster, and then post a song for the next person to create one on? (Maybe, wink. nudge). :)

Simpson17866 and rktho like this.
  3. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

So, I stumbled across this thread while lurking on the "Character Chatroom" thread and figure it's worth bumping. That said, I think @Cave Troll might be onto something - so I'll suggest an alteration. Create a character primarily based on (and who likes) the suggested song. Then add a second, unexpected, song that the character also likes. The next person has to use your secondary song as their primary. For instance...

Candy, age 35, still lives on the same desert hippie commune where she was raised by her flower-child parents. Most people choose not to have computers, and the radio reception sucks. So, the old Vinyl records still get a lot of play. Candy has always been partial to "Angel of the Morning," especially after most of her childhood friends decided to reject the lifestyle - the bittersweet nature of the whole thing became a lot more important after that.

That said, Candy is one of the few people who keeps a laptop on the commune, and has developed a particular fondness for Katy Perry's "Waking Up in Vegas." She likes the reckless abandon of the whole thing.

Simpson17866 likes this.