Grrr....just saw this again. Drives me nuts!

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by jannert, Oct 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

@big soft moose - how would you apply the he/him rule to 'whoever' or 'whomever?' "Hever," or "Himever" doesn't quite make it. Would you just remove the 'ever' and work with that?

Give it to whoever (or whomever) turns up? Still can't quite make that work with the he, him trick. I know you're supposed to use 'whom' after a preposition, but does this apply to 'whomever' as well?

Back to Bristol?

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/arts/exercises/grammar/grammar_tutorial/page_61.htm

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I've had this explained to me on here and grammar website more times than I care to mention, and it still hasn't sunk in. It's one of those rules which (that?) simply refuses to stay with me, no matter how many times it's explained.

jannert likes this.
  3. jannert

Yeah, it's taken time to sink in to me as well, but I have to make a conscious effort to apply it. I even went through some of my chapters in my novel, flagging up each instance of the word and trying to figure out if I've used it correctly or not. Still an ongoing project. And people wonder why I haven't published yet!

I think the correct word is 'that' in your sentence there, because if you take the clause out, the sentence doesn't say what you meant it to say. "Which" is only used when you are simply giving additional information. In the above instance, you weren't saying it's one of those rules. You were trying to say these particular rules don't stick with you. So I think the correct choice is 'that.'

You'd use 'which' if you were saying: It's one of those rules, which we learned in primary school, that refuses to stay with me, no matter how many times it's explained.

You could take that 'which' clause completely out, and the sentence would still carry its original meaning.

It's a puzzlement, though. I really have to work on each instance.

OurJud likes this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

With whoever/whomever you apply the trick to the clause

so if you were looking at "we will hire whomever/whoever is the most qualified" you would say 'he is most qualified' so whoever is correct

I will give it to whomever/whoever turns up you would say "I will give it to him" so its whomever

eta: no you wouldn't 'turns up' is the clause so its 'he turns up' not him turns up - so its whoever (the trick works but you need to make sure you're identifying the clause correctly)

jannert likes this.
  5. jannert

Okay, that's not coming naturally to me yet, but I'll work on it. I still don't quite geddit. He is most qualified. He turns up. I'm not quite getting the difference. Aaack.... The only difference that jumps out at me is the preposition in the second instance.

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

make sure you saw my edit above

eta: no 'turns up' is the clause so its 'he turns up' not 'him turns up' - so its whoever (the trick works but you need to make sure you're identifying the clause correctly)

jannert likes this.
  7. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I say we should petition to bring back thorn (Þ) as a letter of the alphabet to replace 'th.' Pretty much the only reason it got dropped as a letter in the English language was because of the limitations of printing presses at the time, but now we're not hampered by that burden. Plus, it looks cool and would simplify at least a little of the wonky in our language.

jannert likes this.
  8. OurJud

So in my sentence: 'It's one of those rules which (that?) simply refuses to stay with me, no matter how many times it's explained.' which part is the clause?

9. big soft moose

jannert and OurJud like this.
  10. OurJud

You see this is the problem for people like me. You've probably gathered, given how quickly I'm posting this relative to you posting the link, that I haven't studied the guide at any length, but I started reading and this weird blindness comes over me. I read the words, but nothing makes sense. I have a real problem following written instructions.

I know that some things require a slightly more complex explanation, but I need the rule explained to me in the simplest and shortest method possible. First off, I don't even know what a 'clause' is, so it starts pecking with my head right away.

[edit] Oops, didn't see your edit.

So, if the sentence requires a clause it's 'that', otherwise it's 'which' ?

Why can't the guides just say this, instead of rambling on for a whole web page??

11. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

The that/which distinction really isn't followed as much as the grammar books imply. Though it's true that (edit: ALMOST) no one does a non-restrictive that-clause:

The cat, that needed to be fed, ate the daylilies. (Almost never happens, so consider it a mistake)
    But it is common for a restrictive clause to use which:

A day which will live in infamy.
    That which does not kill you makes you stronger.
    The one which I like best is not here.
    All of those could have been "that" but avoid it for artsy reasons. (In order: stature, avoiding rep, favorable alliteration.) You really shouldn't knock yourself out over it because there are pros out there who treat this rule more as a "rule," and they've been doing it for a long while. I always list this source so people don't think I'm making it up:

which can be substituted for that in a restrictive clause” -- Chicago Manual of Style

=======================

Adding an E to a noun to make a verb is an Anglo-Saxon trick. It was how they verbed the noun.

breath/breathe
    lath/lathe (and then the new verb eventually becomes a noun again, strange)
    bath/bathe
    cloth/clothe
    wreath/wreathe
    loath/loathe (this one tricks me all the time :( )
    sheath/sheathe
    serf/serve
    thief/thieve​

(For some of them, it's more about changing the sound of the final consonant.)
    They liked making the vowel long to make a verb form. I have a suspicion that "wreath" used to be pronounced "wreth" but I can't prove it. . . same for thef, sheth. It might just be changing the consonant. But that E mischief was their doing. (I wish there were a mischief/mischieve)

There are others too that are harder to spot:
    glass/glaze
    safe/save
    grass/graze
    fif/five (might be wrong on that one. Was five ever a verb?)
    strife/strive (was it strif? hmm. . . . OE stole it from Old French as estrif. I'm betting it was more along the lines of strif/strive.)​

Some of these have disappeared
    mouth/mouthe
    smooth/smoothe​

So it's not totally crazy to imagine breath/breathe going too. I don't think it will happen though.

OJB, OurJud, jannert and 3 others like this.
  12. NoGoodNobu

NoGoodNobu Contributor Contributor

I think the main issue people may have with lose/loose is because of choose/chose.

Choose and lose make the same end sounds, so I think people instinctively associate the "oose" spelling as denoting that sound.

I know the correct spellings of the words, but every now and again I spot I've subconsciously typed the wrong word even though I consciously know better.

But then I used to be an abysmal speller—it might just be a carry-over.

I found in high school that recognising languages of origin helps me know which spellings make sense. I was reading a lot of Hugo & Dumas and a bit of Leroux when I started recognising the patterns of French spellings and being able to identify that this word is spelt this way because it's French in origin. Same with Greek words and German words.

I find @Seven Crowns post fascinating and am glad to know all that.

And while I was notorious for the worst spelling till junior high or high school, I am actually with @jannert that while mistakes are inevitable, corrections ought to be sought & learnt.

For instance, I personally prefer spelt, spoilt, spilt, dreamt, etc., to spelled, spoiled, spilled, and dreamed (etc.).

I feel that I should be able to use past in place of passed by the same token. I feel it very strongly and irrationally.

However, I know it's wrong and so I have to make sure I check my impulses.

Also, someone recently told me I might even be using the irregular "t" past tenses inaccurately regardless, and now I'm going to have to figure out if I need to clean up another bad habit. . .

13. OurJud

Please explain.

14. jannert

That's an excellent point about the Anglo Saxon 'e' added to change a noun into a verb. Seems to work in many instances, as your post illustrates.

15. NoGoodNobu

I'm not sure. It was a short conversation and I need to check the accuracy of the assertion, but I believe the gist of it was that "ed" is past tense while "t" is past participle.

So "I burned the toast" and "I have burnt the toast" are correct, but my saying "I burnt my toast" is wrong.

16. OurJud

Mmm, I'm not sure on those either. Great! :rolleyes:

So:

"What happened to your breakfast of eggs on toast?"
    "Burnt the toast."

Is wrong?

But I don't get why. If one burns their toast, whether they're saying it while stood looking at the smoking charcoled squares on the grill, or whether they're talking about yesterday's breakfast, they're still referring to a past event.

17. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    burnt-toast.jpg

18. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Kay, I actually did some research on this. Apparently burned and burnt are the same thing. Adding a 't' to a word to make a past participle is a Germanic tradition that was carried over into Anglo-Saxon. 'ed' is kind of an offshoot of that. However recent convention puts burned as a past tense, while burnt is more frequently used as an adverb. So technically if you burned the toast, then you'd have burnt toast.

19. NoGoodNobu

I knew the Germanic origins. And I assumed they were the same, just my usage is archaic for America.

So I thought my choice for the "t" endings was appropriate, if unusual.

So am I allowed to say "I dreamt last night" instead of dreamed?

Because I definitely say dreamt. And dwelt and knelt and learnt.

20. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Doing those all by how they sounded to my ear I only got this one wrong:

jannert likes this.
  21. jannert

Yep. I belted through that test ...and got that one wrong as well. It just sounds wrong to the ear, doesn't it? But it's not. The blank word is the object, not the subject of that sentence.

I found the 'preposition' test is a good one, but certainly not the only one, as in instances like this. It's been so long since I actually studied grammar, I've been relying on my ear to tell me what's right and what's not. And my ear can get it wrong. I'll be more careful and mindful from now on.

NoGoodNobu likes this.
  22. OurJud

As far as my limited knowledge goes these are considered old-fashioned terms, but still okay grammatically speaking.

23. OurJud

jannert likes this.
  24. jannert

I do think that's an incredibly good website, but I can't find where they do the which/that one. I'm surprised it got left out, because it's a common one that practice would certainly help.

OurJud likes this.
  25. Sir Douglas

Sir Douglas Member

We might include "lie" and "lay." Dishonest people annoy me when they say they're laying but are really lying.
    However, I appreciate my fellow Americans who never studied English, if they don't intend to visit England.

jannert and Cave Troll like this.