1. Asher Janos Hawthorne

Asher Janos Hawthorne Member

Gun descriptions

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Asher Janos Hawthorne, Mar 7, 2019.

So im writing a story that takes place in the far flung future in space, now in this time period none of our well known gun companies exist anymore, this presents a problem, i have certain guns in mind for certain characters, should i just say the type (Pistol, shotgun what have you) and leave the reader to imagine the gun themselves or should i try my hand at description of the specific firearm? or should i go middle of the road on it?

2. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Probably depends on how technical your descriptions of everything else are. If you're writing some hard sci-fi, then I, as a reader, would probably appreciate some sort of technical description. If you're writing a space opera, on the other hand, then you could be less technical.

3. Asher Janos Hawthorne

its a bit on the softer side tech wise, i don't go too deep into how the future tech works, but the guns they use aren't blasters or anything (they use those for Atmosphereless conflicts) it's ballistic weaponry that has an occasional base on something from our time (or earlier).

4. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Yeah, I'd describe it. Don't go crazy, I guess.

5. Asher Janos Hawthorne

so this is an example of one of the weapons. its an old ww1 era pistol but he's modified it in the story. mind if I do a test run here?

Attached Files:

6. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Even if the companies don't exist anymore, the names for the guns may. Or you, the author, can translate from whatever language those future people speak in the future: frostynose may be their word for carrot, but in your mercy spare us from having to learn that.

So, they've got what's essentially a shotgun? Call it a shotgun. And some famous firearm designs, the names may have survived all the years: "At his hip hung a pistol in the pattern of the ancient Colt 45, still as deadly as ever." Something like that. (Note that the almost as famous 45 Long Colt was a revolver, not a pistol. To be a pistol, the chamber and barrel have to be a single piece.)

After a thousand years, many Japanese sword still carry their ancient names.
    Once writing takes hold in a culture, this kind of thing happens.
    Hang a lantern on it if your worried the reader won't believe that:

Youngster: "Kinda funny to call this a sniper rifle, after all these centuries. It's not even rifled."
    Old Coot: "Change came gradual to it. Sniper rifles always seemed a close enough name."

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  7. Asher Janos Hawthorne

that's a pretty good point. i could have him recognize certain things as reminiscent of different types of guns. im already translating everything anyways (Universal translator makes a great plot device.) though i should also mention it takes place in a parallel universe (He's the only one from our universe, that he knows of anyways). i don't know why i said the far flung future, just chalk it up to writing while tired i guess.

8. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Even if it's a parallel universe, you can translate for us: a knife is a knife, a semi-auto pistol is a semi-auto pistol. A shotgun a shotgun.

But it's important that they are different, then describe them, but hopefully somewhere it makes sense, like while someone is field-stripping it for cleaning.

There's a traditional scene in stories called "the arming sequence" where the knight straps on his armor, belts on his sword, picks up his shield, and so on. You see the equivalent in movies, when Rambo or whoever gets ready for a fight and dresses and gears himself for it. Do that right, and it gives you a good place to describe the weapons, especially if the user is a professional warrior who has an emotional relationship, such as reverence, with the tools that keep him alive.

9. Asher Janos Hawthorne

y
    Yeah i'm translating things so it's a bit smoother, i didn't actually think of the Arming sequence idea, it would be a pretty easy thing to work in he is a hired gun after all. and he has a great affection for his weapons.

10. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Yeah, selecting which weapons to take out of his collection for a job gives you a good opportunity to describe at least the capabilities (range, penetrating power, lethality, number of shots before reloading, speed of reloading, etc) and gross characteristics (concealability, weight, traceability) of each weapon he considers.

11. Asher Janos Hawthorne

i am now very glad i gave him a verifiable armory.

12. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Well, don't get all gun-nuts about it.
    (Disclaimer: I am not a gun nut. I don't need to be, I married one.)

13. Asher Janos Hawthorne

Gun-nuts? how do you mean.

14. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I never really gave it much thought.
    In my story I bare bones it and specify
    guns by 'mm", or by how they fire, like
    coil, rail, or fusion. Though I don't have
    many guns per-se, but it's Sci-fi, so I think
    the reader can imaging a 15mm pistol that
    uses gas propelled bullets like we do now,
    but are just a bit more powerful.
    Knowing enough of the basics, and explaining
    the technical points should be enough for
    any reader to follow along with each type
    and everything else.
    Of course it takes a bit more using exotic
    weapons systems outside of the standard
    for the genre (lasers and bullets), so that
    there is a difference between each weapons
    system and how it works.

But that is a lot more tech jargon than most
    would like to get into. :p

Good luck and have fun. :superidea:

15. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Describing every single weapon even though he only picks a few.
    Just describe enough rejected weapons to show (not tell) the requirements of the job ("The MP5? No, not enough penetrating power against body armor.") And once he picks the last one he needs, stop.

16. Asher Janos Hawthorne

ah i see now! follow the rule of few as it were.

17. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Another approach is to characterize the weapons by the impression they give:

the big assault rifle he carried, beautifully engineered for its ugly purpose, made his grandson’s look like a child’s toy.​

18. Asher Janos Hawthorne

thats a good idea! it gives you enough of an idea to get a good image, without being too rigid.

19. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    There are a lot of ways you can indicate what sort of a gun something is without going into too many specifics. In Against a Dark Background the heroine carries a handgun with the model name of HandCannon. Don't think the caliber is specified, but we can get a pretty good idea what it's like. In Jinx on a Terran Inheritance there's the Captain's Pistol, which is designed to stop mutinies in their tracks. It has a huge muzzle, a switchblade bayonet, and uses much of its energy in produces a flash and blast to scare the bejeezus out of anyone thinking of joining a mutiny. The blunderbusses in Looper are described as being unable to miss anyone closer than fifteen feet, and unable to hit anyone farther away.