1. graveleye

graveleye Senior Member

Halp, I've made a Scrivener mess :(

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by graveleye, Jun 9, 2018.

Y'all know me. I couldn't wait to learn how to use Scrivener - I just sat down and started typing. Chapter after chapter. Now I have a 100k mess on my hands.

See, rather than creating folders to put my chapters in, and then breaks between scenes in the chapters, I just kept adding text. Every time I would get done with a chapter, I would hit "add text", name it chapter X, and keep going. Now I have 37 segments of text, rather than proper chapters.

You can see a picture of my folly attached.

I'm done with my book and I'm ready to format it and all that jazz, but the way I have it set up is not going to work that way.

My question is, how can I get this back into a proper form, without a boatload of experimenting and copy/pasting?

Attached Files:

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

If you are running scriv three it has a 'divide at' function - so if you go through and put say *** at each chapter heading you can then tell it to divide at *** and it will sort your mess out .... the key thing is not to use anything that you've also used in the text ... so if you say divide a chap... it will divide at every point those letters are typed together, not merely at the chapter headings

in older versions of scrivener it will split where the cursor is so you will have to go through manually selecting split at for every chapter heading, which will be a little slower but still faster than C&p

Catrin Lewis and Shenanigator like this.