1. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Hamilton!

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Laurin Kelly, Jan 31, 2017.

Starting a new thread to pick up where we left off derailing a thread here https://www.writingforums.org/threads/we-need-more-african-american-black-mcs-and-characters.149385/page-26.

If you want to discuss the musical, the historical figures and stories who inspired it, Ron Chernow's excellent biography of Alexander Hamilton, or anything else related please post here. Was Arron Burr really the worst? Do you think Eliza was wrong for forgiving her husband? Who was the best King George III?

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I haven't seen the full play, but I was intrigued years ago when I first saw this clip:

I love how the audience treats it like a joke at first, and then gets sucked right in...

3. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I'd really like to see this, but I doubt I ever will. My wife is not a theater person. :(

4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Ditto that (except my wife loves theater). Tried to go last time I was in NYC and they wanted like $350 a ticket. That's barely my liquor bill for a weekend in Manhattan, but still...

Spencer1990 likes this.
  5. Spencer1990

You're lucky your wife loves it. I had to beg her to go last time we went and she was pissy almost the entire time.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

damn, how can you not like live theater? I mean, the actors are right there in front of you!

Laurin Kelly likes this.
  7. Laurin Kelly

We saw the show in Chicago this past weekend. We had to buy out tickets 5 months in advance, but we got them for $99. And Wayne Brady played Aaron Burr!

8. Laurin Kelly

God, I love that performance. Lin was asked to perform a song from his Tony award winning musical In The Heights, but he was already in the embryonic stage of Hamilton and figured there would never be a better platform to try out his idea on. You can tell how nervous and desperate to get his concept across he is at first, and how with every bar he becomes more and more confident as he wins the audience over. But I will never not have the ultimate respect for how he laid himself bare artistically in front of a room full of VIP movers and shakers who might have never understood what he was going for.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  9. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

Can't you go alone?

10. Spencer1990

Sure, but we have so little time to do things together. I'd rather spend that time doing something we both enjoy. I'd like to see the play, but in the grand scheme, spending quality time with my wife is more important.