Hands down, your favorite book EVER

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Ives, Jan 5, 2009.

1. pacmansays

pacmansays New Member

Life of Pi.....fantastic, soothing, emotional and philosophical simultaneously

2. Aeroflot

Aeroflot New Member

Scar Tissue! =D

That book has helped me to grow up. Seriously.

3. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

:love:333333333 Love Nietzsche.

I've always loved Mary Higgins Clark novels, especially Daddy's Little Girl and All Around the Town. However, I also have a soft spot for teen poet Ellen Hopkins' novels, particularly Impulse and Burned.

So I guess I dont have a 'hands' down favourite book, seeing as I just listed five... :D

4. Roxie

Roxie Active Member

I can't pick just one book these are my top ones:
    Pride and Prejudice / Sense and Sensibility - Austen
    Old man and the sea - Hemmingway
    Lord of the Rings - Tolkien
    Anne of Green Gables - L.M. Montgomery

5. Jal Phoenix

Jal Phoenix New Member

I find it so hard to pick a favorite. I don't choose favorites based on powerful literary skill, originality, or anyone else's preconceived notions of what's good, I pick them based on whether or not I had a good time reading it. Therefore I have no problem adding Harry Potter to my list of favorites.

One of my top fav's is Lamb by Christopher Moore. It's raw hilarity, but manages to portray the Savior and his early life with some dignity while keeping him in character.

6. Jovian Temptations

Jovian Temptations New Member

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

now, before anyone jumps on me and flips a ****, i read a lot more than Harry Potter. I acknowledge that it's not a literary masterpiece or the best work of all time, but it's my favorite. maybe because i grew up with it in my life? i don't know.

but i don't think that someone who says Harry Potter is their favorite book is poorly read. i consider myself well-read [i read classics, too, guys; 1984, Pride and Prejudice, Lord of the Flies...i liked them, but they aren't my favorites].

7. Kas

Kas New Member

Harry Potter is excellent. Even Stephen King says so, and he doesn't hand out compliments willy-nilly.:p That series is actually a masterpiece, IMO, and I have read too many books to count. Classic and recent, from every genre and demographic. Slamming Harry Potter demonstrates band wagon ignorance... I don't think there are very many on this site who hate the Potter books. You would draw a lot more fire if, say, you claimed Twilight as your all-time favourite.:p

I enjoyed that series as much as I did Nabokov's Lolita, or Martin's Storm of Swords, though the style and content between all three are as different as night and day.

8. Dalouise

Dalouise New Member

"The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame.
    I'm on a nostalgia kick at the moment so I may try to track it down as I left all my books behind when I emigrated.

9. Anthem

Anthem New Member

Top Five (in particular order)

Slaughter House Five - Vonnegut
    Breakfast of Champions - Vonnegut
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - Phillip K Dick
    The Eye - Nabokov
    1984 - George Orwell

And if graphic novels/comic books count:

Transmetropolitian (The entire series) - Warren Ellis
    V for Vendetta - Alan Moore
    Akira - Katsuhiro Otomo

10. moriartanian

moriartanian New Member

Fahrenheit 451 by Mister Bradbury, the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy(all six of'em) -by Douglas Adams, and the His Dark Materials trilogy.

11. lebowski

lebowski New Member

Either Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates. Or Lolita by Nabakov. Both for quite different reasons.

12. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

I have a number of favorites, too many to list.

Richard Bach's Illusions was my favorite back in high school in the 1980s. I read it again and again.

The Harry Potter series was engaging and well written.

I love Dean Koontz' Odd Thomas series.

I like all the Brad Meltzer novels I've read so far.

A recent novel I liked was The Collectors by David Baldacci.

I'm a Dan Brown fan, but, while every Dan Brown fan seems to like Angels and Demons or the DaVinci Code, I'm more partial to Deception Point.

Some Stephen King novels are horrible, but Salem's Lot scared the hell out of me and The Stand was awesome.

I also have a liking for many classics. Some of Shakespeare's plays... Hamlet, for example, I like. Edgar Allen Poe's works. To Kill A Mockingbird. The Narrative Life of Fredrick Douglas. Uncle Tom's Cabin.

As a person with interest in Thomas Jefferson and John Adams, I enjoyed the recent John Adams biography (I don't recall the author's name) the 1974 biography of Thomas Jefferson by Fawn Brodie, and the collection of letters between the two men, Ye Will Say I am No Christian.

Al Franken's Lies and the Lying Liars.

Anything George Carlin wrote.

One little known book that was AWESOME: The Red Tent by Anita Diamont.

Summary: The "Red Tent" is a no-man's land, the place set aside for menstruating (or birthing) women who were deemed "unclean" by the ancient Hebrews. The story follows a woman, raised with four mothers (polygamy was routine) who ultimately becomes a midwife. The language is powerful, and the story passionate. It's based on a small section in the book of Genesis, but is not overtly religious.

Another great book: Gore Vidal's Burr.

Summary: This historical fiction provides the story of the American Revolution through the eyes of Aaron Burr, who has a unique perspective as a man who despised both Jefferson and Hamilton. (In fact, based on this book, he despised everyone in the Revolution except James Madison, who he oddly took a liking to.) That's the inner story, as this is a story within a story. The outer story, a biographer is interviewing Burr, but he has a secret agenda: In an effort to derail the election of Presidential candidate Martin Van Buren, he's seeking evidence that Van Buren is, in reality, the love-child of Aaron Burr. Remarkable book!

13. Jovian Temptations

Jovian Temptations New Member

i forgot lolita and fahrenheit 451. those books are simply marvelous. i recommend them to anyone. =D

14. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout New Member

Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. For countless reasons. The main one being it's the book that made me want to start writing.

15. Natalia

Natalia New Member

The Perks of being a wall flower.Philip Pullman His Dark materials Trilogy.The Time Travellers Wife.The Handmaidens Tale.Oh I can't pick one there are far too many!

16. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout New Member

I like that title. The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Think i've heard of it before. Might give it a go.

17. Natalia

Natalia New Member

Myfriend bought it for me for Xmas and I loved it.Its by Stephen Chbosky.I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

18. Joseph A.

Joseph A. New Member

Well, so far I am reading Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer, and Just after Sunset, by Stephen King. Both these books are great, and you should look into them.

19. Vacant

Vacant New Member

A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
    The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
    Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
    Harry Potter (particularly PoA)
    :)

20. JVanHaitsma

JVanHaitsma New Member

My all time favorites are "Love in the Time of Cholera," "Watchmen," "Jane Eyre," "Diary," and "Chronicle of a Death Foretold." Love 'em! :-]

21. WritefromtheHeart

WritefromtheHeart New Member

My favoite books

I really enjoy many books that I so absolutely cherish, but the ones that I really love are these three:

The Odyssey by Homer
    2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke
    and The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I couldn't pick just one you know. :)

Tell me if any of these are your favorite.
    :D

22. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I adored The Great Gatsby before I had to write two major essays, three shorter essays, and analyze quotes. Sometimes the thought helps one understand the book, but for me, it just destroys its worth.

The Great Gatsby was so unhappy that it made me feel better about my own situation. :p And while I wish I could have lived in the 20s, such a time of frivolity, I admire Fitzgerald for reminding us that materialism can make you ugly.

23. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

The Odyssey is one of the single greatest works ever written. The only reason I prefer the Aeneid is that I spent more of my time studying Roman history and culture, particularly late Republic to early Empire.

I also really liked The Great Gatsby, though it's been a little too long since I read it, I'm going to have to give it a re-read soon. I don't remember much of it besides the image of the ash-covered town and the green light on the docks.

24. hyperknees91

hyperknees91 New Member

It makes me chuckle a little bit that the TC out of all the harry potter books recommended the one my best friend and girl friend disliked the most.

Ah well (I stopped reading after goblet of fire) so I wouldn't know.

I don't really have a favorite but when I was a kid I believe I liked "The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" the most.

Though out of all the school books they made me read "Grendel" was the obvious choice.

Sorry really don't have a favorite, I just need to keep on reading I guess.

25. A.J.Crowley

A.J.Crowley New Member

Good Omens, hands down. One of the funniest book ever written and still makes me laugh evean after the umteenth reading.

Rendezvous with Rama. A brillaint and original take on humanities first contact with an alien species. The best science fiction novel I have ever read.