0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Both (depending on convenience, etc)

33 vote(s)
    39.8%
  1. gavtheevilgenius

gavtheevilgenius Member

Handwriting vs. Typing

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by gavtheevilgenius, Oct 8, 2006.

Just a quick question does anone write straight on the computer?

I'm old fashioned I have about fifty notepads and randomly write things as they come to me the rough out the idea into my big RED BOOK!!!! Then rewrite it on computer print it out and make changes....to think of it thats so long winded but there we are thats me

2. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

lol I was thinking that you were going to say how to write lol.

Em, I generally tend to write in my copy or something similar, although I would advise if you have crap handwriting DO NOT and I repeat do not write in copybooks as you may run into severe probelms later.

3. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

I use notebooks to jot rough sentences down. I reread the notes and once I know exactly where I'm going I hit my laptop and start writing.

I have found that its not unusual for a lot of writers to use notebooks. Most of us are as addicted to pens and paper as we are to "real" books and the smell of them :p

4. lioness1612

lioness1612 New Member

I use a notebook, then copy 2 computer... however, when I start copying I tend to rearrange, and write more while sitting there.

5. Nexus

Nexus New Member

I always write straight to the computer. I HATE handwriting, and I only do it in school. I only type. People are fine with that because my handwriting is atrocious.

6. Laimtoe

Laimtoe New Member

I buy small mead notebooks that can fit in my back pocket. People think it's a wallet but it's not. The cover usually falls off so I cover them with duct tape and call them my graybooks. I just pull it out on occasion and write down interesting conversations I've had with people and I write down what I wish I said or how I fealt or I just jot down whatever I feel like.

I tend to like mixing romance with brutality in my wording and I tend to forget some of the more brilliant ones.

One of my favorite lines is calling people hungry skin bags of flesh, and wierd small things I try to remember.

If I try to copy something word for word -- I always deviate from my original copy to the point to where there was no point in doing it by freehand. And whenever I do that I also deviate from the plot that I have all written down and this causes problems. It's the worst habbit in the world.

I just like to jot down VERY basic ideas by hand, I take them and organize them in my head and place numbered bookmarks in my completed graybooks and they usually construct a plot for me. I ask: "Why would I narrate that" or "Why would two characters be talking about this?" and usually that creates a plot that I can work with. And there's no way you can come up with writers block with that.

7. SwanZa

SwanZa New Member

I have a small notebook that I take everywhere with me. I jot ideas down on it and even occasional paragraphs, but the most of the actual writing I do on my computer.

What do you all use to write in, just plain Microsoft Word?

8. Pooka

Pooka New Member

When I'm new on an idea and the aspects to it just come flooding by, I grab this huge old notebook and write even twenty pages (front and back), in one day.

My classes tend to get tedious, so I pull it out and pretend I'm taking notes, when really, I'm plotting out my hottie character...(for the lack of NOT having a boyfriend, lmao).

I write better at night than any other time because darkness soothes me. So, I stay up till...three in the morning at times, writing in the notebook. My mother refuses to let me spend past a certain time on the computer, but you can't put a time frame on your creative impulses, if you know what I'm saying. So I have no other choice but to write longhand.

Once in a while, I have poetic urges, and I'll just sit and write ten poems at once, sucky ones to say the least, but at least I'm writing.

When it rains, I also have more creativity, for some reason.

Yeah, that's my writing habit thingies. I usually type up my millions of notebook pages and it serves as sort of an editor way, because I'm reading over it and changing the necessary so it's also helpful.

x

StarFyre likes this.
  9. Pooka

Pooka New Member

Yep.

x

10. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

I used to use works for windows..but I have since gone to word.

11. Sapphire

Sapphire New Member

I write directly on the computer, but I write the ideas I have on notebook paper. I don't write the entire story on paper before I put it on the computer though, because I find myself losing it when I try to write on paper. I'm a faster typer than I am to actually write on paper.

12. chase42

chase42 New Member

I prefer to type, but sometimes I have a great idea or a lot of waiting time (i.e. doctor's office), so I write down the basic narration in a note book and re-type it later, which allows for smooth revision as it is inputted. Also, my hand tends to cramp when I get excited and write quickly :D

13. M.Kirk

M.Kirk New Member

My handwriting is really nice (or so everyone tells me).

I write in all caps, and small enough so that it's not overhwelming. Sometimes I write directly into my computer, because I frankly can type faster than I can write with my hands; but I think you get of a feel for you're writing when you write on paper. Stephen King, for example, wrote the entire book Dreamcatcher out by hand.

"This book was written with the world's finest word processor, a Waterman cartridge fountain pen."

Also, I must say the this forum has grown greatly since my last visit. Kudos, everyone.

14. Veronica0406

Veronica0406 New Member

For me it is all on the PC with regular backups. Last time I tried to hand write, I could not use my hands for days! OUCH!

15. Hellbent

Hellbent New Member

Geez, you guys are all like Stephen King this and that Blah, blah, blah. Well if Stephen King jumped off a cliff, got hit by plane, went through a rain cloud and got hypothermia on the way down, landed in shark infested waters, backstroked all the way back to America and lived to tell the whole story; would you? Because I wouldn't, I don't like Steben Keen.

16. M.Kirk

M.Kirk New Member

Simmer down, now.

I was merely expressing how my opinions on the subject, and how they are similar to that of a rather successful author. I'm not saying I agree on everything Stephen King has every had an opinion on.

Also, you may not like Stephen King, but that doesn't change the fact that others do. You don't see me going off on a rant every time somebody mentions J.K. Rowling, do you?

17. Veronica0406

Veronica0406 New Member

I am not a fan on that man either.

18. Hellbent

Hellbent New Member

Lol. I was only messing with you S.K. fans. I actually do like some of his stuff (Rose Red, Maximum Overdrive) I thought it was cool how in that movie all he had was AC/DC.

One of my biggest problems is...actually there was a scene in Family Guy that explained what's wrong with Stephen King.

Publisher: "Ok, Stephen, story #241...what do you got for me?"

Stephen: "Uhmm... *eyes search the room* OH! There's a lamp right *holds up a lamp* So there's a lamp, but it's not a lamp it's an evil alien and it comes to life and takes over the world!"

Publisher: *sighs and shakes his head* Ok, when can you have it to me?"

Ha-ha. That's probably incorrect, I just did that from memory. And of course it's not true, but a lot of times it seems like he just goes with the first weird idea that comes to mind and tries to make a story out of it.

Got plot?

19. Hellbent

Hellbent New Member

haha, sorry, I'm an asshole.

20. Komisarek

Komisarek New Member

Computer because my handwriting is pure crap

21. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

I use a combination of the two. I write ideas on paper and on the computer then I try to develop them into something.

22. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

I usually type directly into the computer. I find that I can't write longhand fast enough to keep up with my head.

23. franceslynn

franceslynn New Member

Yes, I write straight onto a computer - I always have done. Haven't written by longhand for centuries! But, whenever I do try to write by hand, my writing comes out different, than when I write on the 'puter. My prose comes out more convoluted and laborious. I do find that I do tend to over-edit on a 'puter, if I'm not careful. However, I think your wriitng methods are fine ...... but instead of jotting down ideas in a notebook - what about speaking into a ipod/MP3 player when you get ideas?

HTML:

Frances Lynn is a professional writer and journalist. Her two novels, "Frantic" and "Crushed" are published by Eiworth Publishing at http://yourbookstore.eiworth.se/. Her musings about writing can be read at http://www.writerholic.blogspot.com/ Her personal website is http://franceslynn.org
    HTML:

24. smebro

smebro New Member

I usually slave away at my laptop into the nighttime, till 3 on average, trying to get those 2,000 words a day.
    But a week ago I bought the nifty Z22 palm pilot and although it was awkward at first, I’m finally getting used to writing on it. So now I’m writing on the go, on my bus, at work…all over the place…tomorrow I might go write in a park.
    Hey, I know I could just write it on paper and copy it later…but isn’t this the same but without the labor later on? Anyways it was the cheapest palm there is, comparably better then one I had a few years ago that cost $600, this little thing was only $170NZ$ (…$99 US$) and as well as writing I can read. So its replaced the bag I used to take to work full of reading and writing material.
    Anyways that’s how I’m doing it right now…By the way I still spend the nights typing…only less frequently now.

25. WingedHermes

WingedHermes New Member

I was just wondering, how many of you use the computer to outline and how many of you use the computer?

I find written outlines easier to work with. I have reading documents/web-pages.