1. Goldie

Goldie New Member

Nerves in turmoil -- advice, anyone? Please?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Goldie, Oct 1, 2009.

Tomorrow marks the first.. okay, so it's technically today.

My husband and I are moving.
    My mother-in-law is moving in with us. (I adore her)
    I have a job interview at a place where I really want to work.
    I still have to finish packing up the apartment.

I need to relax and calm down. I'm all frazzled! Even veggie-beef soup didn't do it all the way. Watching "Clueless" is helping, and so is this Bengal Spice herbal infusion.

I haven't been to a job interview in three years! What do I do?!

2. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

prepare for the interview, put time into it, and make sure that everyone around you understands that-moving in to a new place and all that is a sure big deal, but you only have one chance to make a first impression and you need to prepare for this interview in order to do that.

I wish I could list every bit of advice I got on interviews, because before I left the service part of their preparing us for readjustment to civilian life was the interview process and practice/mock interviews and stuff. Many websites will offer similar advice or go much more into detail, here are some basics.

-know the position and know about the company/etc. If you show knowledge on the matter it shows them you took time to prepare for the interview

-be confident, confidence communicates lots, it shows in body language:cool:

-dont fidget, its okay to cross your legs but dont start playing with change in pockets and playing with a watch

-make eye contact, smile-employers want people and not robots-also, if you are memorable, they may be more likely to remember your name when it comes time for decisions on who to hire

-take the time to write them/email them a "thank you" letter. Sometimes its the only thing about an interview that employers remember. It shows a courtesy, the slickest way to do it is to type it up beforehand and give it to the receptionist. After about a week of waiting (if that) you can call them up to ask them if they got your letter, which is a sneaky way of seeing where they are at in their consideration process;)

-relax: try not to seem nervous or excited during the interview, remember that they are people like you. Do not become TOO informal with them either, if they introduce themselves with surnames and titles, its their way of telling you it is formal

-remember to dress nice:)

the most important thing is to research the position and the employers and to have confidence. If you are every bit as qualified as the next candidate, and you walk into their office or whatever with the attitude that "I am what you need and what you are looking for" you will probably convince them and win them over. Remember to smile though! ^^

3. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Jon gave some great tips!!! I just want to say, remember to breath and smile! It's okay to be nervous, it's a very human emotion. :)

4. Goldie

Goldie New Member

I could barely sleep at all, so I kept going through things in my head. I think I'll be all right. Thank you for the wonderful advice! I'm wearing deep, dark blue jeans; a red plaid shirt with a white modest tank beneath it; black high heels; and my hair in a low ponytail. Simple makeup with neutral shadow and a little gloss. Some foundation to cover up what few blemishes have popped up! I love L'Oreal's quads. Green, brown, flesh-tone, olive. Gorgeous with my dark brown hair and bright green eyes!

Barnes & Noble is like a dream come true for me. It's something I can make a career out of. Something I'd like to make a career out of, rather than working at Wal Mart for the rest of my life. If it's something you want to do, great! But I don't want to get that plaque saying I've worked there for 25 years.

5. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Ooh, good luck with the interview! I'm probably too late to chime in with suggestions, but at the end of the interview, when they say "do you have any questions for us?" make sure you ask some questions!! I used to always just say no, but then a friend of mine said you should always come prepared with at least a few questions, and it works wonders.

Good luck, again! I hope you get the position. :)

6. Goldie

Goldie New Member

Thank you! I'm sitting here in Starbucks, waiting for the next 17 minutes to go by. I feel good and I look good. I'm confident even with my allergies attacking me relentlessly! Thank goodness for makeup that makes me look awake!

I'm already missing my husband, though. Poor guy. He's moving our stuff all by himself. :(

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

good luck!