1. Shimario

Shimario Member

I can't decide what to write, help!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Shimario, Dec 16, 2016.

So like the title says, i can't decide what to write. So far, i've written two books. One of them was a fantasy/steampunk book that was similar to the Witcher and the other one was a book about an academy, though the way that book was written was horrid. And now i'm writing two more books. One is a science fiction/ fantasy book that takes inspiration from the final fantasy series and star wars and the other is a YA fantasy urban book that's got magic in it. Also, i'd like to know other writers decide on what to write.

2. antlad

antlad Banned

Seems like you have plenty to write.
    I extensively outline to see if it really has legs and if I like were it goes. I looked at the upcoming prompts for the short story contest and started thinking about them.

3. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    You've already written two books, and you're working on two more, but can't decide what to do? I should have so many problems. If you've shown to your own satisfaction that you can power through writing a book, just keep going on what you're working on now.

I write based on whatever I'm musing about at the moment, but the problem with that is it only nets me short stories, and that's on a good day. I'm trying to puzzle my way into a novel, or at least a novella, at the moment, but I'm stuck on a bunch of details, and I'm still not sure there's enough "there" in there to support a novel.

4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I generally chose projects based on marketing/sales considerations - I have a computer folder with dozens of ideas in different genres/categories, and when I see something in a certain category is selling well, (or when I have a contractual obligation to produce another book in a certain series) I go to the folder and pull out what's relevant.

I do have a few "projects of the heart", stories I want to write just because I want to write them. They're hard to get to, but I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing... they're still there in my brain, ruminating and gathering ideas and momentum, so hopefully when I do find time to write them I'll be chock-full of enthusiasm and creativity! Hopefully.

5. Absolem

Absolem Member

I've been writing since I was like 6 or 7 and its always been poetry. After awhile I'd get ideas for stories and just run with it and come out with a short story. Eventually I got the idea for a novel and started writing it but its far from complete. Like I said, I write mostly poetry. I think of an idea or concept and take a few words I can rhyme together and let it flesh itself out, then revise.

6. Senko

Senko Member

Don´t know exactly what else to write?
    Read, read, read.
    And, if that´s not enough, you can keep reading, reading, and reading.
    At least, that can give you ideas that make you come up with some other ideas.
    In fact, one of my (unwritten) resolutions for this new year is to try getting used to read more.

7. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    To be honest I got stuck on an escalation point in my sequel. I am not sure if it is going
    too far, or not far enough. So am on a reading break. Though I am looking for works
    from others on the forum, just to give my 'writer' time to sort things out on my own.

But write where you have passion. Write the things that drive you to write.
    And read many things in many genres when you need a break.