1. Neil Brown

Neil Brown New Member

Currently Reading::
    Think and grow rich

Happy to be here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Neil Brown, Jun 10, 2021.

I have had an interest in writing fiction for a long time, ever since I was in my late teens. Now at 51, I have been working on my first fiction book for the past couple years but kind of got off track with building an affiliate marketing website.
    I am anxious to learn as much as I can about the art of writing fictional horror and am nervous about the publishing process.
    I look forward to meeting some new people.

2. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Welcome. I'm happy to meet you, Neil. Congratulations on returning to writing fiction.

Horror is an interesting concept. What terrifies one person leaves another going ho-hum. I'm good with snakes and spiders and things that go bump in the night, but trepidation fills my heart at reading the words, " building an affiliate marketing website." ;)

3. Neil Brown

Neil Brown New Member

Think and grow rich
    Lol, the thought of going back to affiliate marketing scares me more than any horror movie.
    Maybe I'm wrong about hearing that I need a website to promote my writing as an author, even if so, that's not so scary, but I'm sure I would have even more to take on writing blogs for a website and writing books.
    Thanks for your comment and hope to see more of you soon

Catriona Grace likes this.
  4. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I'll be around.

Neil Brown likes this.
  5. Joe_Hall

Joe_Hall I drink Scotch and I write things

Welcome Neil! A good horror novelist is always welcome....I wouldn't worry about the publishing process unless you are getting real close to completion. But when you do, this site has some very experienced published authors that share their words of wisdom with the rest of us peasants :)

B.E. Nugent and Neil Brown like this.
  6. Neil Brown

Neil Brown New Member

Think and grow rich
    That's great to know. Still have a way to go with the book, but it's good to dive into a community with many people with plenty of experience.
    Thanks for your feedback.

7. petra4

petra4 Active Member

The Rose Demon by Steve Berry
    Hi Neil and Welcome,

Had built my own website, building up to 6 before lock downs started to hit. Yes, online/affiliate marketing is a great learning curve.
    Becoming too big and managing on my own, I couldn't do it any more so glad of the respite :)

Now, back to reading and writing. Haven't ventured outside of these boundaries . . . I've come a long way to writing itself . . . a lot further to go though

Enjoy your new venture/chapter in your life :)

Neil Brown likes this.
  8. Neil Brown

Neil Brown New Member

Think and grow rich
    There is definitely a lot of learning to go for me, it keeps me busy. I wish I would have started much younger than where I'm at today at 51. Thanks for your reply.

9. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Whippersnapper!

Ah, I remember the feeling at 51 that I was old. Wish I could knock some sense into my former self about that, I was still fresh-faced and fancy free. Actually I'm still pretty much like that @ almost 59. Been quite lucky.

But joking aside, I do understand what you're saying. Hey, on the bright side, you're already through the youthful stages of delusion and foolish thoughts that filled so much of my early work. Your mind is fully adult now. The brain doesn't finish growing until somewhere in your 20's, probably late 20's, and only then can you begin to really learn in earnest at an adult level, despite all the rebellious and angry things your 18 year old self would say about that. So you hit maturity somewhere in your 30's and after that go through levels of seasoning like a fine bourbon. You're not quite vintage yet, a few more years in the barrel should do it. :supercool:

Neil Brown likes this.
  10. Xoic

... Though it looks like your hair may be ahead of the curve. :p

Neil Brown likes this.
  11. Neil Brown

Neil Brown New Member

Think and grow rich
    Thanks for sharing that. I hear so often that most people that find success, whether it be in riches or whatever, it isn't until they reach their later years, 40s, 50s, whatever, you are absolutely right, my mind never thought about the future when I was younger like I do now.

12. Xoic

These days mine tends to look back more on the past, so I guess the process is beginning. But I don't let things get me down, and I seem to have always been a decade or so behind where I should have been aging-wise. I also keep myself in good shape. Hey, a little tip—when you hit 60 you want to be in good shape, have a little muscle mass through weight lifting. Apparently you won't be able to put more on after that, or only with extreme difficulty, and from there it just goes downhill. And physical exercise is good for the brain and everything else as well.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a Health for Seniors thread.

Neil Brown likes this.
  13. Neil Brown

Neil Brown New Member

Think and grow rich
    Weight lifting is good, I do it six days a week. It's something I have been into since I was 11.
    Since the beginning of this year, I have been doing the treadmill for 30 minutes every day and have lost 33 pounds, feeling and looking a lot better. Thanks for your reply.