Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven

Raven Banned

Worst Book

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Raven, Oct 23, 2006.

What is the worst book you've ever read.

Mine is a book called Dead Run written by P.J. Tracey.
    Infact the book was so bad that I don't even look at anything written by P.J. Tracy if I see it.

It was just terrible badly written the usual.

~Raven.

2. herminehaller

herminehaller New Member

This awful 'thriller' about a depraved serial killer. It had everything in it, torture, rape, abuse, necrophilia, murder. It was disgusting and extremely graphic. And I think it was a best seller. The name escapes me but my mum lent it to me!

3. M.Kirk

M.Kirk New Member

I personally like extremely graphic stuff, but that's just me.

I don't really have a "worst book," but I really dislike anything to do with Fantasy. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

4. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

There are a lot of bad books out there. One of my least favorite books is actually The Catcher in the Rye. I don't think that it speaks so much to a contemporary audience . . . Holden is rich.

I didn't like State of Fear though . . . see the thread below.

5. Raven

Raven Banned

I too like graphic discritpion in stories. I find it helps to give a better picture in my mind.
    At the end of the day if thats not the type of thing you like just don't read graphic.

~Raven.

6. The Yellow Matrix

The Yellow Matrix New Member

Oh, I can't remember the actual book title and author but if anybody can recognize this book..it's a sort of a superhero fantasy except that its about saving these people plagued by a strange sex disease called "dreamer's disease" where you dream of having sex and being hurt by somebody but it doesn't really happen but somehow, if you dream of having sex with a person who has it, you catch it too...there's one hero that solves mathematical equations in a jiffy to change his surroundings...they're out to defeat the evil incarnate who brought the disease to mankind...anyway, like i was saying, it was bad...

7. Draven

Draven New Member

:eek:

The Catcher in the Rye is one of my favourite books....

8. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

I know. There are a lot of books that I disagree with the majority on.

For instance, I think that the Lord of the Rings should have been pared down about about a third, and I don't like Eragon either. They're not in the worst though.

Like I said, when I read Catcher in the Rye, all I wanted to do was deck Holden Caufield. Ugh. Self-righteous prick. Shallow to the core.

9. zerobytes

zerobytes New Member

LoL - if I had to hit a "classic" it would be Wuthering Heights. Wasn't much redeeming in that book for me. Haven't read Catcher in the Rye - sorry :( Want to talk bad movies though - I can give you a HUGE list of those

10. newguy

newguy New Member

i kinda agree with spherical. I didnt like that stuff much.
    some ideas went round and round in circles at some points

11. Renaul

Renaul New Member

I would have to say King Lear. I know technicaly it is realy a play; however, it is one of the few books that I have actualy tried to read from cover to cover and failed.
    Although, thats not to say I dislike shakespeare. I've read Hamlet and Othello several times from cover to cover with ease often delving into the little notes on the side.
    I have found a use for the book though. I've found that more often than not novel induced insomnia can be alleviated either reading King Lear or flipping through the UCC.

12. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

the worst book that i have ever read has got to be Alice in Wonderland//Through The Looking Glass. i just didn't like the structure of the story at all, lol.
    heather

13. Siggi

Siggi New Member

Why? Personally I love Fantasy...

14. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Cry, the Beloved Country had to be one of the most horrible books I have ever read. It was whiny and depressing and boring and long. It was like the slave version of emo.

15. Resident Mexican

Resident Mexican New Member

Ah, the slave version of emo... that puts a really funky image into my head...

I find that I don't like most books; at least, I almost never finish them. However, I really hate:

Any fantasy books where the magic system is derived from latin. It's like a mangled corpse ripping out my thumbs and saying "ridiculous!" and then I just effin grown new ones?!? WTF?!?

In my opinion, magic systems should be given thought to. BE ORIGINAL. And none of that concentration crap either... *stumps away like an old man with a cane*

-Resident Mexican

16. Fantasy of You

Fantasy of You Banned

Eragon. I doubt an explanation is needed.

17. Resident Mexican

Well, Eragon may suck, but it's hardly the worst book in existence. Old fu*ker paolini tried, I'll give him that.
    Ok, you're right. Eragon is the worst book in existence.

18. Fantasy of You

Fantasy of You Banned

Lol, a bad book becoming popular increases its 'worst book' potential. Besides from everything everyone waffles about concerning the cliche, the bad writing and characters, I hate Eragon because it's popular, but also because it's popular to those who've not read better, who haven't read enough fantasy and think he's a genious.

Chris P. is a fraud, and I'm still surprised he wasn't sued.

- FoY

19. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

I love you now. *hugs*
    Seriously, all the kids at my school are Eragon-crazy, and it just makes me sick. I tried reading Eragon and Eldest, but it sounded like something straight out of a D-and-D handbook. They all say how amazing it is that he published a masterpiece at 16, when what they ought to be saying is, "Wait a second...we're reading something by a high schooler who's daily thoughts are influenced by peer pressure, hormones, and deluded flights of fantasy. And as if that's not bad enough, this book is burning my flesh off with the sheer power of horrible cliches. All of a sudden, I have this horrible sinking feeling. Is it too late to get a receipt on this book?"
    At that point, said person is probably mobbed by geeky little sixth-graders with large glasses and toy swords who think they can master "The Speech" or whatever it's called.

Yeah. I'm sick of that series.

20. Resident Mexican

Amen.

21. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I really hated "The Old Man and the Sea".
    Not so much because of how boring it was, but that the old man didn't have a brain.
    So the damn swordfish is too big to fit into your boat, and sharks are eating it. Once they've eaten a quarter of it, put it in the bloody boat. It should be light enough now. Sure you won't get top dollar but you'll get some money out of it.

I hated high school English.

22. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

I have to say (and I'll probably have people disagreeing with me) that the Thomas Covenant books by Stephen Donaldson were terribly boring. They're currently imprinted as the worst book(s) I've ever read. I never actually made it through all of them.

23. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

Actually, the worst book I've ever read is Nothing But the Truth by Avi. It's supposed to be a "highly realistic moral debate" with "hooking characters" and "shocking conclusions."

Really, it's a retarded debate about whether a kid can sing to the Star-Spangled Banner. The protagonist is a whiny little b__ch, the so-called "antagonist" is just a nice lady, and the conclusion is dumb and pointless.

24. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

:p I enjoyed that one.

25. Onoria Westhrop

Onoria Westhrop New Member

I bet no one here has ever heard of ALWAYS 東京三丁目の夕日 but let me assure you that it is the worst book ever penned by mortal man
    Reading it has the kind of effects that H.P.Lovecraft ascribes to the reading of the Necronomicon - you will tear out your hair, smash your teeth out with a brick and spend the rest of your days living under a bridge, smelling of urine and muttering to yourself.
    If you see this book, burn it Farenheit style and send the ashes with hate mail to the idiot that penned this babylonian whore in novel form.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.