1. Harms88

Harms88 New Member

Harms88 vs the Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by Harms88, Nov 6, 2019 at 3:30 AM.

I really like the idea of progress journals as shown by the many examples on here. A great way to hold yourself accountable and get encouraged when you are struggling.

Also a great way to float story ideas and see what people think of them.

As soon as I get home to my PC, I will post my current stories and their statuses.

Rockatansky likes this.
  2. Harms88

Harms88 New Member

So by the time I got home last night, I was too dead tired so went to sleep instead. lol

My current stories in progress right now are the following:

Golden Circle 1: We Gained by Honest Toil
    Genre: Alternate History
    Progress: 7.1%
    Current Word count: 4481

Story Synopsis: The year is 1880, and it has been 15 years since the Treaty of Mexico City ended the War of Southern Independence. Now, the Confederate States of America are planning to intitiate "The Golden Circle" a long term strategy to bring in The Caribbeans, Mexico and Central America to create the perfect empire for slavery.

The main character is Thomas Bee Kemper. Born the day of First Bull Run, he has always had a rough life. A product of rape, his mother ended up marrying an abusive man. Now at 19, he courts a young woman but the abusive relationship, (physical, verbal and emotional) hampers his efforts and sooner or later, he will either break under the strain or learn to evolve past this turmoil.

Ashes of Manzikert
    Progress: 36.84%
    Current Word Count: 42,699

Story Synopsis: In 1071, history changed. The Byzantine Empire won the Battle of Manzikert. It is 100 years later and the Byzantine Empire is on the rise. They have reconquered the Holy Lands and Italy.

General Basil Argyros was the man who won back Italy. Now, he is being set up to marry and gain lands and titles as a reward from the Emperor himself. What he doesn't realize is that the woman is actually the niece of the Emperor. A princess who has rebuffed all previous suitors, spends perhaps too much time reading books, isn't the greatest at the skill a lady needs and wants to marry for love.

Meanwhile in the Holy Lands, Felipe de Zargossa and his wife Ella try to scratch a living, fleeing from his father who was against the marriage of his noble son to a peasant woman from the kingdom of Argonne. And a man known simply as the Chiliarch rides with some of the best mercenaries of the Byzantine Empire, fighting for a man who is trying to rebuild the Muslim world, named Saladin.

Hooker's Invasion
    Progress: 2%
    Current Word Count: 2,268

Story Synopsis: In May 1863, Joseph Hooker, commander of the Army of the Potomac, retreated from the much smaller army of Lee at Chancellorsville. What if he didn't? How would 1863 have been different for the American Civil War?

Hellcat Squad: Basic Training
    Genre: Military Science Fiction
    Progress: 3%
    Current Word Count: 1,789

Story Synopsis: Earth is but a myth that religious fanatics and old wives in the 45th Century talk about. The Galactic Human Order controls the entire Milky Way Galaxy, but as time has passed by, the Emperors are no longer able to even pay interest back to the Banking Clan, and the Order has reached a point that the 15 Members of the Clan are planning to call in the debt, which will topple the empire. Combined with revolts from far-flung provinces, time is ticking.

Thrust into this Nina Norns and her husband Jason. They want a child, but all human re-productivity is controlled by the state. The only way to have a child, have enough money, be one of the intellectuals of the galaxy, or serve the military. So, Nina must join the military, where even Basic Training can kill you.

There are many more stories that I've started and abandoned but these are the big ones.

3. Harms88

Harms88 New Member

Decided that this progress journal will be my soul focus on this website.

4. Harms88

Harms88 New Member

Ashes of Manzikert
    Current Word Count: 42,886

I was only able to get less than 200 words done today (Saturday and Sunday are my bigger writing days due to working two jobs). But the 200 words allowed me to finish(?) a scene I was working on.

Main problem I am facing is that, at just over 1/3 of the way done, I have seen a better way to take this story. Which causes conflict with one of my four character plotlines. So, carry on with the story as is, or start the changes in the next chapter and when I go into the second draft excise the elements of the original story that no longer match up? Hmmm.....very interesting.

Golden Circle: We Gained by Honest Toil:

Outlined chapter two with all the major points of the two plot lines of the two main characters match up. Also wrote some very simple info for a new family and a piano teacher character to be introed in the new chapter. Also made notes on possible differences in scene choices.

I need to work on having the MC having goals outside of wedding and bedding his lady friend. Although, is there any higher goal for a horny 19 year old to have?