1. pippin1710

pippin1710 New Member

How much planning is too much

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by pippin1710, Apr 29, 2008.

I was just wondring what other writers did for planning should they have all the characters fully detailled and their chapters planned and plot and sub plots in stone or should they just have a bit of a back ground idea's about their sub plot have your plot outlined, or does it vary from writer to writer?

2. para_noir

para_noir New Member

I dunno about plot and stuff..but as for characters, I think you can call it fully detailed, when they start talking in your head! ;)

3. Mordecai

Mordecai New Member

It's different for every author. Use whatever you feel comfortable with, if one doesn't work try the other. It's all trial and error. Usually for me, if it's a short story I just plot it out in my head and go for it, among rewrites. But as for novels or longer projects, I tend to plan out a lot more detail than I usually do so it keeps the story flowing. When I don't plan anything for longer projects, it always stalls midway through because the river had ended. No more flow. But that's just me. :]

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

My feeling is just do as much planning as you need to begin the story. The rest can wait until you need it.

Planning can be a way to procrastinate. Don't let it.

The longest journey is the one never begun.