Has this story already been used?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Bradosia, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Bradosia

Bradosia New Member

Thanks everyone. After hard research I removed the cliche of a main character with super powers. The main character no longer wakes up with no memory but rather loses 10 years of his life. I took out lots of other cliches and now I'm really happy with the end result so now I have begun writing the screenplay.

The screenplay is 4 pages right now and I'm looking at around 30 pages. I'm not sure If i can post the end result on the forum for someone to proof read or help with some elements because its way too long.

2. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

Let me be one of those who post something not related to the actual question, but done in an effort to help...

Bradosia, are you familiar with the structure of screenplays? You say it'll be 30 pages, and that would equal to only 30 minutes of film. The format used is very standardized (rediculously so) and many buyers outright reject stuff that doesn't follow the format.

3. sprirj

sprirj Senior Member

Hey Bradosia,

I don't think this post is confusing. I think people were just trying to say don't worry about if its been done before. This, of course wasn't the response you were looking for, but perhaps it was their way of saying 'No, I've not heard this one before.'

And I'd agree with them. I really like the outline, I love this sort of thing.
    I don't think there is an exact match for this, but all the elements have something in common with some story out there.

It reminds me a lot of zombie and post apocaliptic movies, like the book of eli.
    I love the idea of him no being able to sweat or cry. Maybe at the end he is able to cry over his father death, could be quite touching?

4. Bradosia

Bradosia New Member

Thanks for bringing this up. I've never written a screen play before but I never thought it would be that standardized. I honestly thought (and have been doing) that I could write the dialogue then description for each scene and make a few notes for queues and such.

I'll look up the standard now so I don't get too far and have to rewrite it.

EDIT:
    There are so many formatting rules for screenplays that I stopped using word and downloaded a free screenplay formatting software. Hopefully this will make my head hurt less.

5. Bradosia

Bradosia New Member

That's what I was thinking! But someone told me it was insanely cheesy and shot me down with questions like "how does he take a leak" and "wouldn't he die of toxic build up in his body?".

I changed it so that the main character is a child dying from cancer. He hates his life and lives in pain, but most of the time hes too drugged up to think. He has lived past his life expectancy, but the kid has already given up hope. Ultimately, He is given a second chance from a big event of luck, but loses 10 years of his life. The event saves himself but destroys the town. To avenge his town he renames himself Argon (name of the town) and sets out to destroy the ones responsible. The story revolves around this idea of hope and whats fair. Why are we born with what we have? Why aren't we all born with the same chances?