1. cuzzo

cuzzo New Member

How much/fast do you read?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cuzzo, Oct 3, 2011.

How many books do you usually read per month?

I thought that I've been reading a lot lately -- I've been reading about 5-6 books a month, but, from some of the things I've read on this forum, it seems like a lot of you read a lot more than that.

I think maybe it's because I read much slower than most frequent readers -- so to speak. It takes me about 20-ish hours to read a novel (I'd guess on average). One of my friends says she can get through a novel in about eight hours so I guess that's how some people are reading more than ten a month. The only novel I can remember reading in that amount of time is Catcher in the Rye and that's because it's relatively short and an easy read.

How are you guys reading so much? Are you just way faster readers? Or are you somehow finding time to read 5+ hours a day? Or is 5-6 a month a decent pace?

2. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

I read quick, but I have very little time to read for pleasure. When I do, I can go through a 500-page book in under a day.

That is, if I like it.

3. Allan Paas

Allan Paas New Member

For me reading a 500-page book takes 8-14 hours, depending on my mood, how tired my brain is, overall sleepiness. If I had all the time I wanted, I guess I could go through 15-20 500-page books a month (after that my eyes would probably be dead). How much you read depends on how much free time you have. I bet some would be happy if they had time for even 1 or 2 books a month.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i read at a pretty steady 50 pages per hour... when down with the flu or whatever, i can easily go through two 'normal' sized novels a day...

if i have a lot of work to do, i only read a bit before going to sleep, but if i haven't a bunch of mentees to deal with and there's nothing worth watching on tv, i'll read a book...

5. spklvr

spklvr Contributor Contributor

I don't read a lot for pleasure anymore. I read like three books a month now for school, in addition to reading for other courses. Just sucks that I have to read them whether I want to or not.

When I get some free time and start reading for pleasure, I can finish a book in a day or two, but it depends on the book. Like Game of Thrones, it's a really good book, but I think it's kind of heavy and since I don't have a lot of time to really get into it, it took me a whole month to finish the whole thing. I read the first Harry Potter book in five hours straight though.

6. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

A 500-page novel would probably take me a week to read :D (at the least) I'm quite a slow reader, and right now I'm still struggling with my reading-depression, so I'm even slower than usual. I read only in the hope that finding a good one will give me the reading-for-pleasure back. But lately internet takes a lot of my free time that I could use for reading. Ok, you got me feeling guilty now, better go read something ;) (500 pages in a day??? sheez!)

7. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I don't know how many books I read a month because it varies. Sometimes I'll read lots, and other times I don't read that much (not because I don't want to, I just can't for whatever reason). I usually read 40ish pages an hour, but it depends on the book's length and how much I'm enjoying it. Sometimes it'll take me a day to read a 300 page book, yet other times it'll take me a few days to.

I wouldn't worry about how much you read though, as long as you read a variety.

8. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I'm capable of reading 50 pages per hour, but I can't think of a reason I'd want to. I appreciate the art of prose. I like to read slowly; I even read aloud. If a writer has taken care to write a beautiful passage, I'll take the care, and the time, to savor it.

I read a lot of nonfiction these days, and most of that is in magazines - Scientific American, the Atlantic Monthly, Harper's, the New Yorker, etc. etc. I try to get some fiction in, too. Typically about a novel a month. It's been a bit less than that over the past couple of months because I've been taking an online writing class and I've had to read the stories submitted by my classmates.

9. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

Some people who read really fast may not be reading very well. It may be the case that the really quick readers can actually absorb and digest the material as deeply and clearly as readers who take more time, but my suspicion is that at least a few of them aren't really getting as much as they could be if they slowed it down a bit. At least that is my own personal experience. I can speed-read, and get the gist of the work, but if I use my normal speed (which isn't slow anyway), I can really get all of it.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

50 wph isn't even close to speed-reading, which i can't imagine anyone wanting to do...

i've always appreciated and savored the art of prose [and poetry and other forms of the writer's art], having been a voracious and constant reader for nearly 3/4 of a century and a serious professional writer for well over 3 decades... and despite reading a bit faster than the norm, i don't miss a thing... i'll also stop to read over a particularly wonderful bit now and then...

11. Marranda

Marranda New Member

When I was single, living on my own and my roommate was deployed, I could read 500-700 pages in 4-6 hours (that includes bathroom and food breaks). I would usually stock up at B&N with three or four books (either series or stand-alones), and just veg out with my books.

Now that I'm married, with a kid and two rambuncious dogs and interferring neighbors, I only get through 150-300 pages depending on the book (if I've read it before, or if it's new to me), and how long my son's eating/playing/sleeping. If my kid stays asleep after 8pm, I can blast through 200 pages before 930pm easily.

... I miss my single, couch potato days =\

12. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

As others have said, when I was younger, not working full-time, had an apartment versus house and yard - I could read a lot more. Now, between work, writing, other RL necessities, I'm basically reading during lunch breaks at work, and catching a few moments during the day. And yes, depending on the book, some will fly by and others take forever. I really need to get back in the habit of reading before bed - although most days I only go to bed when I'm falling asleep on my feet anyway :(

13. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

When in the mood and I have nothing to do, and the stars have aligned properly, I can read pretty quickly. I read Misery in an hour in High School. When not in the mood I can take a few days to weeks. But largely it depends on a great number of factors.

14. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

I'm a slow reader but my retention level is incredibly high. It makes it difficult to enjoy rereading a book because I can remember much more than the basic plotline even after years and years.

15. rainshine

rainshine New Member

I have just read all three paolin books Eragon, Eldest and Basinger. It took one week, my heads spinning.
    Now I am trying to read Lancashire folk tales and how to write local history but I am finding it difficult, ah well
    taking a break.

16. rainshine

rainshine New Member

I have just read all three paolin books Eragon, Eldest and Basinger. It took one week, my heads spinning.
    Now I am trying to read Lancashire folk tales and how to write local history but I am finding it difficult, ah well
    taking a break on here.

17. rainshine

rainshine New Member

I have just read all three paolin books Eragon, Eldest and Basinger. It took one week, but my head's spinning.
    so i'm taking a break on here.

18. adrenaline7

adrenaline7 New Member

I'm a relatively slow reader, but I like to take my time to digest things more efficiently. On a good day I read about 70 pages per hour, but if I'm tired or can't concentrate, or I'm on a train, it can go down to 30 per hour.

19. Faust

Faust Active Member

I'm not only a fast reader but I have good comprehension and I often surprise myself with my retention. If I recall a book's title I can often recall the premise of the book and whether or not I enjoyed it. Reading and writing are two of my greatest passions, during the summer when I'm not doing much I can read 3 or 4 books a day depending on their size. I'm positively addicted to reading.

20. rainshine

rainshine New Member

deleted repeat post

21. topeka sal

topeka sal New Member

S... L... O... W...

But I've never kept track, so who knows how I really compare. I'm a slow writer, too.

Doesn't bother me. It just is. What matters to me is what I get out of it.

22. Prince_Genji

Prince_Genji New Member

I like to read a lot, but since I read a great variety of genres and I have no set routine at all since I may spend three quarters of my waking day reading or none at all I have a hard time answering. I've never timed myself exactly but a relatively large size book say 400-500 pages will often take me maybe 4-5 hours. I'm not crazy like some of you :p Just kidding.

23. lessa

lessa New Member

In a month I read 20 -30 books.
    but I am a stay at home wife, pretty much home bound due to disabilities so housework and computers and writing and reading are my fun stuff. If I was working or going to school I would read about 20.
    I have loved to read my entire life so when I have to wait for someone or an appt. pull out a book and relax.