Have you ever noticed or found out something about your character's name after you made it?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Elven Candy, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    @Iain Aschendale Works for the Battle Ballerina on the field. :supergrin:
    BattleBallerina.jpg

matwoolf and Iain Aschendale like this.
  2. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

You guys are a riot:supergrin:.

Please do get back on topic, though;).

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. Richard M. Williams

Richard M. Williams New Member

I generally name my characters after a facet of their personality and then the other characters give them a nickname on their own perceived notion of the character in question.

Elven Candy likes this.
  4. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

A friend of mine wrote a series of blog posts about a female coder. He called her Jezebel, because he liked the sound of it, and didn't find out what it meant until he was halfway through the planned sequence.

Elven Candy likes this.
  5. Number 7

Number 7 Member

I write my characters names at random sometimes, though with my current task, I chose names that sounded Roman. I just finished Ryse: Son of Rome which is a video game set in Roman times and I was feeling the particular name sake to be quite pleasant.

Elven Candy likes this.
  6. ChaseTheSun

ChaseTheSun Senior Member

I love the process of choosing names. I tend to be quite picky; character names must be appropriate to place/era/social context, they must suit the character (I don't quite know what makes some names suit and others not, but it's a thing!) and, generally, the name should have a meaning which alludes to or references some element of importance for either that character's personality or role within the story.

I wrote the following as a short exercise for myself during my planning process when I was growing acquainted with the main characters in my WIP:

There was once a small town. In this town lived a family with a mother, a father, and two daughters. These two daughters were as different as they were beautiful. The elder daughter bore the name Eleanor, for her mother had great hopes that their firstborn would carry herself with regal pride and bring honour to the family name.

When the second child was born, the father said to his wife, “We must pray she remains blind to the horrors of this world, to ensure she remains innocent and beautiful always.” And so a pledge for her blindness was made, and she was named Cecilia.
    Amusingly, a name which I had never previously considered just dropped into my mind one day and introduced itself to me as being the name of one of the characters in my story. I did some research, and turns out that name was in the top 50 most popular in the year and within the social demographic of that character's birth! Talk about coincidence?!

Elven Candy likes this.
  7. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

I think I shared this once before, but in all of my novels I managed to have a female character whose name starts with the letter L. Not sure why, maybe a subconscious preference. Who knows? But in my most recent novel project, I don't. Instead, my main character's name is Noelle. And that was completely by accident.

Elven Candy likes this.
  8. Elven Candy

These are great! I love it when a character's name surprises me--and it's even better when it's my character's name!

9. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

I remember Opus Penguin (of the old Bloom County comic strip) wondering if "feminine protection" meant a pink Uzi.

Not exactly a character backfire, but one of my VW buses was named the "Blunder Bus" and had a section of that name devoted to in in my book On The Bus. I found out later that "Blunderbuss" is a euphemism for masturbation in some parts of England. It was too late to change, and would have involved too much editing.

Elven Candy likes this.
  10. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I chose Mykhaila because it jumped out at me as a very interesting name, and then created her origin of having Ukrainian background to match.

My book has many religious undertones. She believes she has to suffer to atone for the evil in the world. She is willing to sacrifice her well being for the good of others. She believes in love, the good in man, and forgiveness. She was born in the year 2000 (to be revised as there are timeline issues). She is religious herself but fights with this belief as the world keepss telling her otherwise. It's titled Martyr.

Then I discovered that Mykhaila means: Who is Like God? Which suits her and the story perfectly.

Edit: I only just discovered this, BUT: She is also gay and a bit boyish, saying that some people mistake her for a young boy. And then, while answering this thread, I spotted this:

"The first thing you should know if you are considering Mykhaila for your baby's name is that in most countries all over the world the name Mykhaila is a boy name."

So it's even more perfect.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  11. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

I had a crazy old drake named Shakhira until I found out about the female singer Shakira and changed it. His name is no longer Shakhira and I'm considering using another character to fill his role. But that's not till book 2 so I don't have to think about it right now,

Elven Candy likes this.
  12. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

I know a kid named Brenna. And yes, she's a girl.

13. Elven Candy

Haha! I'd change his name, too!

rktho likes this.