Tags:
  1. Bssam

Bssam New Member

What is the purpose of your life?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bssam, Sep 19, 2019.

Although seemingly simple question, no clear answer to this question till now. I would like to know what is the benefit, motivation and purpose of your life?

jannert likes this.
  2. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Nothing at all. Is this clear enough? I set my goals for no other reason than that I'm still alive. Paradox, right?

jannert, Baeraad and Cave Troll like this.
  3. Dorafjol

Dorafjol Member

To enjoy. Figured that one out when I was 6.

love to read and jannert like this.
  4. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life. -- Albert Camus

5. SomePenName

SomePenName Member

Hey Bssam,

Welcome aboard, allow me to start off by saying that I saw the main purpose of these discussions is to improve as an ESL (English Second Language) student. You'll find it is quite rare for English speakers to converge and discuss metaphysics at length with friends. I think the best bang for English learning buck would be for you to jump into more layman ("regular person") topics, of which you'll find many here.

We'll have you shredding gnar on radical slang in the blink of an eye.

Notes on your post:
    1. Your Title would typically be said: What is your purpose in life?
    2. People may ask what your motivation or purpose in life is, but asking your benefit in life would seem like an odd wording.
    The phrasing of this would mean that the meaning of life had been discovered. I didn't write this sentence until now. It implies that now I did.

Best way to learn English? Ask. Ask. Ask. Ask. Ask. Then ask some more and clarify.

Good luck,
    SomePenName

EFMingo and jannert like this.
  6. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I don't know. Make the best of this blink before it blinks me out.

7. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

To eat more cake.

OurJud, love to read, N.Scott and 3 others like this.
  8. Mish

Mish Senior Member

The three questions seem to be separate from each other.

Benefit - assumes life requires benefit. It doesn't.
    Purpose - assumes life requires purpose. It doesn't.
    Motivation - a very subjective question unlike the others, that has very little if anything to do with purpose. I like to assume that my motivation in life is to enjoy the moments I have before life ends. Then there are sub motivations like I want to write stories that people enjoy reading etc. I think everyone's motivations will be different.

jannert likes this.
  9. Baeraad

Baeraad Senior Member

The simple, albeit depressing, answer is that my life has no purpose and it's all a grand cosmic joke.

But being less gloomy and more immediate, if at the end of a day I have had a bit of fun, thought some interesting thoughts and had some positive interactions with other people, then I consider that day to have been well-lived. I don't know if that's a purpose per se, but it's probably as close as I come.

jannert likes this.
  10. Ragne

Ragne Member

Best answer ever :)
    Can you insert me in your life sir ? I want this wisdom.

I guess from my side, the answer is being usefull. Leaving the place where I used to be, in a better situation that I'd found them. Making people smile at all cost. Helping them to be happy one more day.
    Not being a man whom is remembered for my social position or my stature neither my personnel history. But, for my deeds, I want to live contributing at the building of a better wolrd for the people that I love.
    In other word, being the man that I needed when I was a child.

jannert likes this.
  11. mochi-melo

mochi-melo Member

Not having regrets I guess?

jannert likes this.
  12. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I like that answer, especially the twist at the end.

Me? I don't see myself as having a purpose, so much as a path I want to travel. A path that is as comfortable and pleasant as possible. However, I'm not comfortable when people around me are suffering, so I try to help if I can. And I'm not comfortable when people are making what I consider stupid decisions that affect us all in a negative way, so I try to change people's minds when I can. But ultimately ...I am just 'here,' but not forever. I don't intend to achieve immortality, and don't know if I'd want it, if it was offered.

I would be happy if I could just enjoy myself while I'm here, and that my ending is painless and quick. (By now it's not going to be premature! :) ) I want to challenge myself a little—to learn new things, mostly—but basically just relax and enjoy the stuff I like and avoid the stuff I don't. I've spent 70 years accumulating various skills and experiences. Now I want to use them, and contemplate them. There's a point where I don't really need 'more.'

I don't have children, so maybe that gives me a more self-absorbed attitude.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    love to read, Ragne and Baeraad like this.
  13. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

I project toward a time of calm, toward my cottage nestled between the two peaks.

'Dahling, I'm taking the hounds for a skip-about...'

'But what about making love to me?'

'Later, later...we need firewood...and please wash that bearskin hearth rug it is absolutely filthy, bye.'

Strolling aside the babbling brook I am interrupted from my quasi-religious cogitations by the post van, and the post man speaking his quaint Scottish dialects...'

'Meester Valf, meester Valf, Aye ee haffee a hairy yor fan malles, queet a sakk of postal fans - ole ladys ee imajin - canneee yo lock at alle the sakk ov fanne malles, aye!'

'Deposit the bundles with my wife, boy.'

'Yas sire.'

But yes, this slow telescope toward my demise is gentle and soft, loved in my village, a knighthood possibly? Every man sheds a tear at the news of my passing. Every nation sends an ambassador to my service. Modest ambitions only.

jannert and Cave Troll like this.
  14. matwoolf

Definitely. Often I have noticed your absolute lack of empathy, and also vile prejudice raised against those of us with breeding facility THROUGH NO FAULT OF OUR OWN. My fertility is a curse I often suggest, even hedgerows suffer.

Dorafjol and jannert like this.
  15. jannert

Lack of empathy or simply lack of envy? Hmm. Let me get another coffee and think about that one.... :)

Right. Done that. It's both.

matwoolf likes this.
  16. matwoolf

[​IMG]

Cave Troll likes this.
  17. jannert

And then he died and woke up as a mushroom. An edible one. And so it goes....

Cave Troll and matwoolf like this.
  18. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

Not a fan of the whole "Life's purpose" ideal.
    I think it gives anxiety to people who haven't lied themselves into believing in something, and gives too much motivation to people who think they've found it.
    It's okay not to know what your purpose it, its okay to not have one.
    Just do your best, things will be okay. Probably.

19. matwoolf

'Mister B, today qweston...what is purpose of the lifes?'

Upon the podium, Isaac Hitchenn-Bee reclined in the leather armchair, cigarette held between fingers, he expanded upon philosophies:

'I am not a fan of the whole "Life's purpose" ideal,' he wafted.

'Eau..' said the beautiful interviewer, she swept her fringe, eager to draw the tedious event to a conclusion, and interview this enigma in a more intimate surrounding.

'Furthermore' he said...'the "Life's purpose ideal" gives anxiety to people who haven't lied themselves into believing in something,'

'Really?' said the interviewer, her tongue lingered on her lips.

Hitchen-B renewed his intellectual assault, invigorated:

'Yes,' he said, '...and gives too much motivation to people who think they've found it.'

'Quoi?' said the lady.

'I mean it's okay not to know what your purpose it, its okay to not have one. Just do your best, things will be okay. Probably.'

'Exact, parfait,' said the woman. She rose to shake his hand, and the audience stood also, roared in raptures of their appreciation. 'Rousseau, Rousseau!' they cried, tri-cornered hats tossed to the beams.

Mish, Cave Troll and Mumble Bee like this.
  20. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

Was I just put in my place? I feel like i was just put in my place.

21. matwoolf

No, just playing. I'm not like that

Cave Troll and Mumble Bee like this.
  22. Ragne

Ragne Member

You have remembering me the beggining of Sysyphe by Camus.

Knowing why someone want to die is, in a way, understanding what is the meaning of life, their lack is the answer.

And he answer to that later in the book by saying that the meaning to live is... to live. But living by experiments, by trying, by boldness. For that you can be a conquerer, an actor, a writer, or a don juan... Some of this life are absurd, but that's the work of everybody to define what the can and want to be.

jannert and matwoolf like this.
  23. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

If I were to have a purpose in life, I guess I would make it as self-aggrandizing as possible. I want to have an impact on the world around me. I don't want to fade into oblivion not having tried to break away from the collected norm. Not necessarily interested in whether how things change is good or bad, simply that I have a lasting impact. When I die I'm certain that what remains will dissolve into nothing, and that any consciousness ends at death, but at that end I want to look around me and see something massive that I did, and say proudly that that was entirely my fault.

I'll start with making my son the best he can be, then hopefully write some decent works. We will see from there. I look at the work I do, and all the life science discoveries that i have helped move forward, but it's not enough yet. I feel I need to do more. Just goals I guess, since I'm actually pretty happy even though I don't believe I've fulfilled my purpose yet.

I think if it really breaks down to it, i just want my purpose to be something greater than a blip in a couple people's lives. I understand cosmic insignificance, and the expanse of geologic time, but I simply don't care. If these are to be my hundred years, then I'm going to live it out well, and I want to impact these moments and future moments around me.

Slam me for being far-reaching, it's okay.

jannert likes this.
  24. jannert

I always liked this saying ...I'm paraphrasing here: "You are never truly dead until your name gets spoken for the last time."

N.Scott and EFMingo like this.
  25. Bssam

Bssam New Member

Interesting answers. It is nice to see your goals in life. Some of you said life has no purpose, the majority link it to happiness by helping others.

The problem now what is happiness itself? and why do we always link it to helping others? There is a study by Harvard Uni and it is called the longest study ever; it was about the life of a group of people from their teenager days until their 80s, to see what keeps people happy and content! The answer was quality relationship. Having good relationships with your spouse, neighbors and friends make you happy. In my opinion, I don't agree with that 100%, because it makes happiness dependent on others, I think happiness should not depend on other people at all. It is something in your heart that makes you happy but I don't know what it is exactly!

What do you think?

jannert likes this.