Have you lost all faith in humanity?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cicero, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Neidermeyer

Neidermeyer Active Member

I suppose from the perspective of a realist, there will probably always be altruistic people out there who try to help out others in need as there will always be people out there trying to turn a profit off of those whom they can. I haven't lost all faith in humanity, just a sad understanding of how things are and a desire to see things better for everyone. I just try to do my part and urge others if they can. In my experience, a little caring goes a long way.

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

and a lot of caring goes even further! ;)

3. Raven

Raven Banned

Indeed it does maia.

4. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
  5. Edward

Edward Active Member

Well, some people do the right thing for the wrong reason, I mean, me, I have the stance that I don't care to help someone who's not right in my face, and that hungry people can grow food and if they can't grow food they can move to somewhere there is food. And yet I got 2000 grains, but I didn't do it because I wanted to feed people, I did it because I'm an asshole who wanted to keep getting a better and better score.

tl;dr: Sometimes it doesn't matter whether something is altruistic, and humanity being devoid of humanity somehow still works out in the end. Odd how that is...

awesome name.

6. Neidermeyer

Neidermeyer Active Member

To each their own. I don't think that giving people what they need solves anything outside of an acute period of time. Give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime. I think we should help people to help themselves. Like you, Edward, I often don't think of people that aren't in my visage unless I see them on the news.

Humanity being devoid of humanity still works out in the end? I suppose until it self destructs. lol

7. Edward

Edward Active Member

Exactly! We shouldn't just give food, it makes people dependent, they should just move from the place they're in and live in the woods, hunting deer. If there are no animals to hunt they can just move. I don't see why everything has to be fixed by money. Way back in the day people farmed and hunted, they didn't need any rice beyond what they grew.

Then again, one could interpret my attitude as further proof of man's downward spiral...

I was reading on wikipedia about things, things like young hippies protesting government and things, and I realized something: A) People like that are stupid, the lack of a government doesn't work. Communism can work on a commune, but not a country. and B) Government sucks because of people, without people, government would be perfect and brilliant and never fail. We have people who have jobs because of the sole fact that people **** up: Cops, Lawyers, Judges, how is this? It could be argued that poverty is the major source of crime, and that if government worked there would be no poverty, but poverty doesn't account for things like rape, or domestic abuse, serial murders, revenge or ... ... ... ARGH! The tangled fabric of the tapestry that is humanity, always in an eternal Hell, I don't even care to make a fancy soliloquy, thinking about it so much is giving me a headache. I'm seeing that downward spiral better and better.

1 person likes this.
  8. mammamaia

do you know nothing about the world beyond your own neighborhood!??... tell that to the starving millions in darfur and chad and other places where there is not only no place where food will grow, but no water to even drink... and no deer or other edible animals within hunting distance... and how do you suggest they 'move' several thousand miles on foot, when burdened with their dying children?... and to where, when they'll be not only be shot if they try to enter another country, but are raped and killed, when just trying to get a drink of water anywhere they can reach in daily, daylong treks?...

since you obviously haven't noticed and no one's told you, the world has quite a few more people in it now... billions more!... and fewer places to farm or hunt, thanks to all the cities, plus fewer and fewer fellow animals available for humans to feed on...

open your eyes to the whole world, my friend!

yup!

9. Wordhacker

Wordhacker Senior Member

Nice to see you around a new forum. I thought I'd never see your stuff again. Well, good to see you again. See you around.

10. Raven

Raven Banned

Whys that then?

11. mammamaia

hi, wordhacker!... did you use another name when last we 'met'?... can't say i recall your current moniker, but it's nice to be missed... btw, i've been here now for over a year... welcome aboard!

love and hugs, maia

12. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

Faith in humanity is like spotting a blooming rose in scarlette red amongst the black and white thorns. Shocking and beautiful to see.

I havn't lost all faith. There are the odd roses around. People just have to look hard to find it and to actually start acting kinder. Well, not those that are already kind!

13. Wordhacker

Wordhacker Senior Member

I sure did use another moniker. I'll have to say you had a huge influence on my writing--you still do. I always read posts on which you comment. I've watched the pissy little people who didn't take your advice and are stuck in a rut with their writing. I'm still evolving. I give out as much advice as possible and I've found the more I do, the more I see what's wrong with my own work. And God knows how many books I've read since I met you. That's helped out quite a bit. I just want to thank you for your tough honesty. I can't believe you've been here for a year and I didn't know. I've been real busy. I just remember you leaving another forum. Again, good to see you.

14. mammamaia

gosh, what a nice way to start my day!... i'm so glad to know i've had a hand in helping you with your writing, hacker... drop me an email when you get the chance and let me know how you're doing and what you're working on these days...

love and extra hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

15. Edward

Edward Active Member

Actually, that was the thing I was trying to get at (I think. It's been a while). Most of the problem is that we don't care about other people, which is why there's so much crap that gets pumped into the poor places, and why the poor places have nothing. If we moved them though and helped them beyond giving them food, it would be more beneficial to them than giving them food (And bibles, and tampons it would seem). The problem with that though is that that would cost money. And heaven forbid we spend more money.

There are so many simple things that could be done that would solve problems like hunger and population, it's just that people don't want to do them. hell, sometimes people want to do complicated things just for the hell of it. In Hong Kong there's a tower being built (actually, it's on hold/canceled at the moment due to a lawsuit) that would act as an entire city within a city. There's also the Freedom Ship, the Shimizu Mega-Pyramid, and a slew of other Metropolitan monstrosities that while looking admittedly awesome, will waste money when in this digital age jobs can be performed at incredible distances. The solution to population could be much simpler: Take people to less crowded places. And making less crowded places habitable (such as the idea to build a lake in the middle of the Sahara, or the Atlantropa project, which would have turned most of the Mediterranean into a new nation and created vast amounts of Hydro-electric power.

You'd be surprised at how many places there are that are practically empty, just waiting for massive, almost science fiction scale feats of engineering to make habitable. Actually, most of the continental United States is uninhabited due to it's makeup (wide open prairies with no lumber) that were a problem when transportation was tough, but now, with cheap, prefabricated housing and fast travel we could set up a city in the middle of Kansas the size of New York. Hell, States being the size of countries, we can afford to spread out here, and yet population is still a problem.

I think I just went from the troubles of poor nations to the troubles of all nations... damned non-sequitor segues...

I'm not going to lie though, the only reason I came to comment on a dead topic is because I wanted to complain about the population and the unnecessity of building huge floating cities when there are plenty of cheaper solutions. I mean, if you're going to move into a giant floating metal pyramid, you might as well move somewhere else. Besides, a giant chunk of Hong Kong in the middle of Kansas would probably further Chinese-American relationships. Or, there's always somewhere else. Plenty of plains out there to be built on.
    [​IMG]

of course, solving the population problem will just bring about other problems. Things like that always happen. God forbid there be hydroponic gardens on all the roofs. Or a chicken coop up there. Then again, by the time we run out of room for farms we'll either have colonized space, experienced an ice age, or ascended to a higher plane of existence. Or killed ourselves.

Of course, when all the land is gone, then it would be cost efficient to start building floating cities anyway, so...

Well, as happens every time I go off on a Filibuster of a tangent, I've forgotten my point.

16. sakira_starwolf

sakira_starwolf Active Member

I hadn't. I've seen as many people combat the tragedy as commit one. I'm one of them. Gotta keep trudging. :)

17. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I've never really had any faith in Humanity to begin with.
    I credit it to a bad childhood, but I share many of my favourte writers deeply pessemistic view of the world.

18. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

me too i am also a bit of a pessimist. i try to see the good but i just cant. but i do know there are good people out there so thats a relief:)

19. diziet

diziet Member

lost faith in humanity? look to the animal world...

Crow and Kitten are friends...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1JiJzqXxgxo

mind you, who knows what happened when the kitten grew into a cat and got hungry...

20. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Crows are pretty good at taking care of themselves :)

21. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

I've already got 1k grains of rice on that website. ^^ What a cool idea! I will visit it every day.

It's things like this that make me proud of my fellow humans.

Thanks for showing us these websites, Cicero.

:love:

Edit: The Message video made me cry! D=

22. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

If all faith in humanity has been lost then there would be nothing left. Therefore there is some humanity left in this world. People just have to look harder.

23. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I consider myself a realist. While I haven't "lost faith in humanity" completely, I would say my faith is dwindling. Things like this and this and this make me sick of humanity. Not the misdeeds alone, but the simple inaction on the part of humanity, you, and myself is what really puts things in such a "negative" perspective for me.

24. SeaBreeze

SeaBreeze Banned

ooh name change! But I would agree with you on the dwindling. But I havn't lost complete faith in humanity though. There are people out there that will surprise you. And hey, what's everyones idea on humanity? Is it building a school for the poor children in Africa or just giving someone a dollar to complete their purchases at the checkout in the supermarkets. Tiny stuff. A smile to a stranger. What makes humanity and what gives you faith in humanity itself?

25. Cicero

Cicero Banned

That is more because of our inability to realize things that haven't happened to us. This is why organizations try to raise awareness. Had you or I been in the rooms where the Abu Ghraib torturing happened, we probably would be pretty gung-ho about stopping torture in the world. Just as an example.