Have you made any worthwile money from your novel? Also, has one of your novels failed miserably :)

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Flying Geese, Jun 4, 2015.

1. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Only raises that point about people doing 'Journalism' degrees, or 'Astrology/Psychology.'

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

It's a shame. They could have done a real Micky Mouse degree, like English. Or even an MA in English Literature. Now that really would be pointless.

3. matwoolf

or Politics, Modern History & Philoshophy, hew

4. Lemex

It's like these people want to annoy us!

5. The Mad Regent

The Mad Regent Senior Member

I was considering a Masters in International Journalism.

Do you think it's pointless?

My other choice -- so far -- is International Public Relations.

6. Lemex

To be honest, no I don't think it's pointless. Though, if you are looking for advice I'd say you should look very carefully at what you get out of it, what skills the degree will train you in that might be transferable to other disciplines.

Relax, I'm just having a joke. And matwoolf is too - right, mate?

7. matwoolf

Completely fooling, apols :/

Lemex likes this.
  8. The Mad Regent

Well I did my undergraduate degree in Business Studies, which one would think is quite diverse, right? But it turns out that it's so diverse that the only thing I could really apply myself to was becoming a teacher or going into a management programme. It would have been so much better if I'd studied something specific within business, like a degree in accounting, or human resource management, or marketing, but too late.

So I'm really looking for something that is more focused, but nothing particularly in business, because it bores the living shit out of me. :p
    I'm still fishing around for ideas, but if you got any information on said degrees, then I'd appreciate it.

9. Lemex

I can give you general advice on degrees, and what kind of things might lead to transferable skills. But every degree is different, and depends on your university. An English degree at my home university will not have the same content as an English degree from the university I'm studying for my masters degree now. So there is that.

Also, universities have very little to do with each other. So don't go to one expecting even anything interesting by way of advice about another university.

10. The Mad Regent

Yeah. I'm always quite mindful of the module content, but I'll probably be studying local, so I won't have a huge selection of universities to go to. However, there are still quite a few around. Without government funding, it'll be pretty difficult to funding the bus ride every other day, let alone the 5k tuition fees.

From what I've researched, there is quite a lot of jobs within the field of journalism, but it always looks easier than it is. ;)
    I think for transferable skills, though, International Public Relations would probably be better. I can't really tell until I go to an open day and talk to some people, though.

Lemex likes this.
  11. Ben414

Ben414 Contributor Contributor

Wrong thread, but TMW you hear someone talk about 5K tuition fees and know immediately they aren't from the same country as you. Sigh.

12. nrextakemi

nrextakemi Member

Degree?
    You don't need degree to be a journalist. Just start writing articles, and people will pay for them if they like them. Hell, if you're good someone might even hire you full-time.

Also, as far as teacher education goes...all you need to do is a few month pedagogic course to be qualified. Of course, schools prefer people with university education, but if the school is desperate enough or if you have connections, that's not a problem. I mean(at least here, in Poland) schoolteachers earn so little that it would be ridiculous to think that you need a UNIVERSITY degree for something like that.

And of course, if you're a teacher in some third world country, or if you're giving private lessons, you don't even need that. Skills is all that matters.

13. Ivana

Ivana Senior Member

Reporting from a third world country, and I have to disagree.

In Serbia, you need to have the university education in order to be a teacher in the elementary and high schools. Even pre-school teachers need to have a 3-year college degree. In order to teach at the university, you need to have at least a master degree, but doctoral degree is preferable.

Sadly, all of this has nothing to do with skills.

ETA: The pay is miserable, of course. But you still need to have all the school, at least according to law.

14. Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith Banned Contributor

I was unaware. Perhaps quote-unqote real journalism requires a degree. As in, working at a news station and doing live reportage. Although to become a teacher you need a college education and a four year seminar where I'm from.

15. Lemex

Different places have different requirements. That's all. Here in England a journalism degree is preferable for most newspapers, but not essential. In TV news, it or a Media degree is essential. Teaching, unless you want to be part of the demon killing good education and be an unqualified teacher (and good fucking luck getting a job outside of an academy - the other spawn of the education-killing demon), you'll need a PGCE, or equivalent.

Anyway, I think this thread should be getting back on topic.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  16. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

Yeah, take it to the King-Rawling secret ingredient to success thread, folks. Move along... ;)