Have you used the character of yourself in a story yet?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Mans, May 25, 2014.

1. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Maybe unintentionally, but i don't go out of my way to do so. It just seems a bit odd at times. Other people is different, however.

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I think to some degree all characters are apart of who we are, we created them after all.

3. rainy_summerday

rainy_summerday Active Member

I once heard that the best liars are those that use their personality, slice it in different parts, and depending on the situation, go with whatever slices fit the situation. I suppose my characters are similar to that. They are slices of what I know.

4. Masked Mole

Masked Mole Senior Member

I kinda wrote a more extreme version of myself in my first decent novella. It was a creepy few weeks coming to terms with the fact that my character was very similar to me. I didn't set out to recreate myself in any manner.

Cave Troll likes this.
  5. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

My characters may exhibit various basic aspects of me, but they're not 100% me as if I were alive and walking in their universe. That was one of the first lessons I learned with writing: as far as your characters are concerned, you, the author do not exist. In any way. They don't know or care that you're their creator; they aren't even aware that they are actually just characters in a book.

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I don't know if I have to be honest, especially with my current WIP. Makes me worried I have, to be honest.

7. Sack-a-Doo!

Sack-a-Doo! Contributor Contributor

Better to ask: Have I not? :)

8. DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse Member

One of my favourite examples of the no holds barred approach of this is King in his Dark Tower series, I'm not gonna elaborate on it so I don't give anything away but looking back I ought've seen it coming several miles off because it was always gonna happen, he just makes it work so delightfully and I just absorbed it without fuss or fanfare, it takes a certain kind of remorseless current to attack the wall separating the components as decisively as that.

9. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

None of the characters in my horror stories are noticeably similar to me, but there was one character of my Doctor Who fanfic WIP that was supposed to be a lot like me... before he started doing something else entirely :D

The funniest part is that there is character in the same story who is turning out even more like me than I thought she would.

10. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Every character has a bit of me in them but none of them are Mary-Sues (or Gary-Sues).

I showed my friend a small excerpt of my WIP a few days ago and she commented "it's very you." I hope that was a compliment...

11. Haru

Haru New Member

I'm the same as Tenderiser. I usually don't use myself as I am, or even my personality with another name -- rather I just have small quirks from myself that I apply to other characters, Like a love of astronomy or writing.

12. PrincessSofia

PrincessSofia Active Member

In all of my projects, all the characters have something of me, either physicals traits, personality or some hobbies etc which are mine. It's not on purpose , I just write what I know.

But five days ago I had a very vivid dream and I was in it, all sorts of things happened, and when I woke up I wrote all that I remember, and as soon as I'm done with my current project, I'll start writing this one ^^ I have the setting, the characters, the inciting incident, and it will be in the city where I'm currently a college student, with people I knew or know, and other which are purely fictional, but the MC will study the same thing as me in my university, will have my ethnicity my nationality my friends ( not with the same names of course and some other changes for them not to be recognizable) the same kind of mother haha and the inciting incident is actually something which really happened to me, except that I have added something for it to be interesting. It's kind of weird I know haha but that should be interesting to write !!