Short Story Have you written short stories before your first novel?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Senko, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Complete opposite for me. Three novels before I even attempted a short story. Not sure what that says about my journey. Having been in an inescapable rut for the past few years, I'd say not much.

Rosacrvx and Cave Troll like this.
  2. CrimsonAngel

CrimsonAngel Banned

How old are you now? And I'd like to see those cringey stories.

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Be 34 on Thursday. IDK, where those stories are at the present,
    and gonna take a petition or something to release that festivus
    cringicus. :)

4. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Well I’ve attempted novels, but I started my hobby writing many a short story. It felt like the natural thing to do as the short format is so much easier than novels.

Beloved of Assur and Cave Troll like this.
  5. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

My short stories were a way to finish something. I could start writing a story, but once I figured out the ending, I couldn't force myself to finish.
    Also, I am/was dealing with attention deficit disorder and several other maladies, so writing short stories helped me push that envelope until I had written a few unpublished novellas around 40,000 words. From that, I went through my work and found one that would be my first novel, and three years later I finished it.

Beloved of Assur and Cave Troll like this.
  6. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I recommend starting with shorts. You can move through the process quickest that way. Then you can look at the final product dispassionately, see what works and make adjustments.

Most of the unpublishable stuff I see fails at the paragraph level. I think that's why when you pick up a new book and you ask yourself if it's worth reading, just one paragraph is all that's needed for an answer. One full paragraph shows you who you're dealing with. The voice, impact, presence on the page. Now that's not to say that a book can't fail at the level of story. Short stories will teach you that too, in miniature.

(Caveat! Plenty of terrible writing gets onto the printed page. It even wins Goodreads Book Awards. This year was an atrocity.)

Xoic, Homer Potvin and Cave Troll like this.
  7. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I'm not very good at short stories and tend not to write them, even way back early on when I first started. I find shorts don't suit me as I naturally start adding more when it comes to mind, more story, more stuff, more detail until the core original concept becomes far larger as the plot rapidly expands. You need a sharp, focused idea and stick to it.

Most of the short ideas I felt good enough to write ended up as novels. Even the most recent one I just finished has quickly begun expanding and looks to become a novella at least.

But this year I'm going to attack more shorts and see if I can maintain enough discipline to keep them focused.

Kehlida and jannert like this.
  8. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

No short stories, I went straight for the novel. Nowadays, after writing two behemoths novels (one published, another on the way), I’m trying to keep my story length at around 25.000 / 50.000 words because I’m fed up with editing long novels! True story!

I had to write short stories for school (5.000 words) and they always felt too short and incomplete. I have the same opinion reading short stories from others so it’s not my genre at all. I do read short stories, but refuse to read flash fiction. That’s not even getting into the preliminaries, if you know what I mean. Not satisfying.

The shortest I could come up with was a 14.000 words story happening on my universe, but that hardly counts because it was supposed to be “bait” for the larger story.

9. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I can't conceive of writing short stories. Just isn't my thing. I don't read them much either, except for sci-fi (which I love, but don't write.) I love the long haul, the immersion in time and place, and the slow character development that a novel gives me.

I know all short stories don't take this path, but I really don't enjoy gimmicky plots at all. Too many short stories—especially contemporary ones—seem gimmicky to me. They count on the reader not finding out something important till the 'reveal' at the end, or deliberately lead the reader astray by misleading them on purpose about who the characters are or what the situation really is (ha ha, fooled you!), or set the reader some puzzle to solve, etc. Just not my thing. I've got a lazy brain, and can't be arsed. :) I want to dive in, take things at face value and learn from what happens, not pit my puzzle-solving wits against the author.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Rosacrvx likes this.