1. live2write

live2write Senior Member

Agent or no agent...what should I consider

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by live2write, Jan 14, 2013.

Well I am finally starting my book and so far I am on a roll. I have been doing research on the side and I noticed people have been posting about obtaining an agent and submitting query letters.

Is it necessary to have an agent? Do I really need one and why?

What is the advantages of having one and disadvantages of having an agent and not having one?

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Generally, if you want to be published by a big, "traditional" publisher, you need an agent. If you want to self-publish, you obviously don't need an agent. If you want to get published by a small publishing house, it is possible to do without an agent.

The advantages to having an agent are that they have contacts with the publishers, and if they believe they can sell your work, there is a much higher chance of a publisher accepting it. (Most of the big publishers won't look at a m/s that isn't from an agent.) Also, they are familiar with publishing contracts, so they are in the best position to get you a good, fair deal. The downside is that they get a cut of your money.

3. swhibs123

swhibs123 Active Member

It depends on your goals, but like chicagoliz said, if you want to have a shot at any of the major publishers, you're going to need an agent. Just make sure you have your manuscript as good as you can get it before you start querying agents.

Good luck!

4. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

I agree with the above, if you can get an agent then yes, go with him / her. But be aware that it's not easy to get one and not a quick process.

Whichever route you take however, it's probably too soon to be worrying about this stuff. Write the book first, then worry about how to sell it.

Cheers, Greg.

5. PaulKemp24

PaulKemp24 New Member

Exactly. Don't let thoughts of the publishing process distract you from the task at hand, which is finishing the manuscript. When you finish the first draft and start to see the light at the end of the tunnel then worry about the agent and publishing stuff.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto all of the above...

you can google for info on the benefits of having an agent... here is one rundown of the basics:

http://www.invirtuo.cc/prededitors/pubagent.htm
    [scroll through the whole thing... it's loaded with info... and always check out agents/publishers/etc. here, first!]