1. frigocc

frigocc Contributor Contributor

Having Trouble Writing The Small Details

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by frigocc, Jan 20, 2020.

Really struggling with this. I can write the overarching plot, sub plots, and even specific events. I can write that they started to run down the hallway. But then actually describing said running down the hallway? I'm SOL.

Any tips? I feel like the answer is read more, as I only read technical books 99% of the time.

2. Cephus

Cephus Contributor Contributor

Of course the answer is to read more. If you aren't well-versed in your genre, you're not going to be able to write the genre well.

marshipan and LoaDyron like this.
  3. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

You remember things from books that never actually get said. This is an example of that in my opinion. You don't need and maybe even shouldn't describe the physical action of running down the hallway. The readers will visualize it perfectly well. Only describe what's important. Like if bullets are whizzing past them while they run, or cats jumped in the way.

smokeylives and LoaDyron like this.
  4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I think it's VERY important to develop the facility of being able to envision (not just plot) a scene. Sit back, take a deep breath, and then picture yourself running down a hallway. It's easy to do. What do you notice? Obviously the reason you are running will factor in, but that's not the whole picture.

Is the floor slippery? (You'll certainly notice, if it is.) Is it well-lit? You'll certainly notice if it's not. Are there lots of doors? Would you notice these if you were looking to escape into one of them? Or are you focused ahead, at the exit door, or where the hall turns a corner? Are there objects in your way? People coming your way, or people going the same way you are, but much more slowly? Are you out of breath? Do you feel light on your feet, or are your legs feeling stressed?

Just take the time to put yourself there, in the situation your POV character is experiencing. Take your time until the scene is very vivid in your mind. Pick out a couple of important details ...details that your POV character would be concerned about just then ...and you should be able to make the scene come to life for your readers.

My main tip? Don't try to tell the story too quickly. Okay, you don't want s l o www m o t i o n, but you do want your readers to notice what your character would notice.

Madman and marshipan like this.