1. varma

varma Member

he got angry (how many ways can we write this?)

Discussion in 'Descriptive Development' started by varma, Feb 28, 2019.

he got angry?(this sentence was like telling to the reader rather than showing...)
    in how many ways can we write this?

2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Well, how does someone look when they're angry? What do you do when you're angry?

Do you sing songs? Nah. Do you shriek or do you whisper? Either could work, depending on character. Maybe you pump your fists. Maybe you grind your teeth. Go through a few things and see if it fits the emotion. In real life, you don't need someone to tell you when someone's angry. Hell it's obvious someone's angry even when they speak a foreign language you got no clue about. Why's that? What cues are there that mean "Oh yeah, he's lost it"?

Try describing some of those behaviours and traits.

When you walk into a room, how do you know your parents have just had a fight? (barring an obvious shouting match or violence) What's the atmosphere, what's their body language, what are they doing - or better yet, what are they not doing?

3. varma

varma Member

thanks for the reply...
    how do you think we can write with facial expressions....

4. Mckk

frown, grimace, sneer, pout - there's more but can't think of them right now.
    creased his brow, pinched the bridge of his nose, inhaled, clenched fists, shoulders heaved, jaw tightened, gritted teeth, nostrils flared...

I've gotta say, it sounds like perhaps you should read more books?

5. varma

varma Member

yes,:)even I feel need to read more books.
    english was not my first language. I bluntly started a book to write...

Mckk likes this.
  6. Mckk

Aha I see. Sorry, I would have used a milder tone if I'd known. In that case it isn't too unusual you're not sure how to describe facial expressions. Reading would still be the most help to you. Copying other authors could help - not for publishing but simply for practising. When I was younger, I'd try and remember words and phrases I thought were particularly cool and I'd try and use them in my own stories. Find an author you like, who describes emotions effectively in your opinion, and see what it is they do. What sort of words, what sort of phrases etc. And then use them. Eventually you'll start developing your own way of writing these things. But especially if English isn't your first language, that's also a good way of getting a hang of what sounds natural in English.

Don't worry that it isn't your first language. Technically it isn't mine either :p although I call it my first language now. Plenty of writers on this forum don't speak English as their first language but rather as their second or even third language. Get writing and the skill will come :)

7. varma

varma Member

:)

8. Reece

Reece Senior Member

9. varma

varma Member

Nice one

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  10. varma

varma Member

Thanks...useful information