1. Superevil225

Superevil225 Member

Mafia in the 1930's -- Should I Worry About The Five Families?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Superevil225, Feb 5, 2012.

I'm thinking of writing in the 1930's New York. I've been researching a lot about the Mafia in the 1930's so I know what I'm dealing with. My main character is going to be a mafiosi, and there's going to be a lot of dealing with the Mafia families.

I was wondering if I should base the families off of the Five Families of the time. I'm leaning away from that, but do you think that ditching the Five Families would tick people off? In my story, would it be okay if these historical figures didn't exist? I'm always iffy about writing historical fiction because I'm not sure how much history I can ditch to make a truly interesting and unique story.

So... do you think I should take a lot of leeway with the Five Families, or do you think it would be okay if I throw the Five in the trash bin and make up my own mafia families? Do writers have that much creative liberity when writing historical fiction? It is already going to be on the supernatural side.

2. UrbanBanshee

UrbanBanshee Member

My opinion would be to dump the five and make up your own. You won't be as constrained and honestly the only people who would make a huge deal out of it probably would be the ones complaining about you "not writing it right" even you left them. As long as your basic facts are good you'll be good in that regard.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

first of all, the singular is 'mafioso'... plural is 'mafiosi'...

i agree it may be best to make up your own 'famiglias' as puzo did... but only because the real ones 'genoveses, luccheses, et al.] are so well known... just make sure you google for sicilian names and get them all right...

fyi, my calabrese grandfather, who was married to a siciliana was probably offed by a cousin by marriage who was connected to one of the famiglias... and my nonna was almost burned to death saving some of her kids when the mafia torched her house because she refused to let them put a still in her cellar, during prohibition...

when i lived in vegas in the 70s/80s, lefty rosenthal [the mob's main money guy] was a neighbor [i was friends with his wife, till he had her iced, and our kids played together... see 'hollywood homicide' in the essay section on my website for details] and some of the top mafia echelon socialized with the 'normal' elite such as my husband's family, who were retail moguls, thus i came to know some of them slightly... plus, i went to the mob's mouthpiece--later LV mayor, oscar goodman--for my divorce... he didn't do divorces, but gave me his partner, steve stein] so if you want any info on such stuff, feel free to drop me a line anytime...

love and hugs, maia

4. Superevil225

Superevil225 Member

Thanks guys! I think I'll make my own families. Grr.... Historical fiction is finiky.

@Mammamaia ~ That is certainly an interesting life. I'll definately ask you if I need any info on the mafia.

Thanks again!

5. joanna

joanna Active Member

Mamma, you do indeed have an interesting life. :)

I agree that you can make up your own. Authors have done this in the past -- maintaining the setting while making up things or people within that setting. Lots of times I've read of characters I've never heard of being rich, famous, inventing this or that, winning a Nobel prize, etc.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've actually had a whole slew of interesting lives!... i often can't believe i've done and experienced all i have... doesn't seem possible for one person, but at 73, i'm still switching lives like most of you change your clothes... go figure! :rolleyes:

7. highwaymanlee

highwaymanlee Active Member

another idea would be to creat a city similar to new york it would take away the worrie over the five families

8. FrostedLane

FrostedLane New Member

Where exactly have you researching? I have been coming up with a story which involves the Mafia in New York during the 1940's all the way up until around the 1980's. I would appreciate some suggested books or websites, etc. Also, good luck with your story. Hopefully, I can be able to read it.