1. Wayfarer33

Wayfarer33 New Member

Headers for Standard Manuscript Format

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Wayfarer33, Jul 11, 2015.

Kind of a stupid question, but I'm having quite a hard time. I can't get Word to let me add my name and story title to the page number. You know, "Smith/Great Story/20." For that matter, I can't even get it to put the numbers in the right top corner, or to omit numbering the first page. Had the same problem this last semester. My professors just told me to omit numbering altogether because it looked so bad on the first page. Very annoying (not to mention unprofessional), and I've looked everywhere I can think to look. I have the latest edition of Office 365.

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I don't have 365, but... what are you selecting in order to get the headers you have now? In Office 2013, the headers are a bit annoying, but not impossible.

That said, most places don't want print submissions anymore, and if you're sending an e-sub, I don't think the headers are really all that important. I rarely include them on mine - it's not like a page is going to fall out of the document or anything, right?

3. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

I don't have Word installed so I can't help with the "Smith/Great Story/#number#" thing. As for the omit first page thing, there should be an option for headers/footers that reads something along the lines of "Different first page". With that one selected you can design the header/footer of the first page in any way you want without affecting the subsequent pages (and vice versa).

Edit: Also, found this after a little searching re the page number thing: Word 2010: Header with custom text and page number. Even though it's for Word 2010, it might still be applicable on 365.
    Edit 2: It might also be possible to open the header and then double-click the page number in order to change its format (by, e.g., prefixing it with text).

4. Wayfarer33

Wayfarer33 New Member

I tried the things you mentioned, but those options aren't even showing up for me. In the end, I decided the page numbers weren't indispensable, anyway, and just submitted without them.

My computer crashed the next day, so now I have other issues, anyway. It was a motherboard problem, but thankfully, I've got all the data off my hard drive. Now it's just a matter of shopping around for a new computer...and waiting until I can actually afford to buy one.