Tags:
  1. HeathBar

HeathBar Member

HeathBar - Making Progress!

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by HeathBar, Apr 17, 2019.

I'm feeling especially positive today, giddy almost, and wanted to capture the feeling and put it somewhere I could find it when I'm not feeling so optimistic. So, here we are. I started my WIP two and a half years ago and it's been "finished" for nearly a year. Currently 100,979 words. Three title changes. Countless structure changes. Renamed characters. Deleted characters. And still more changes to come. But.... after the last round of betas and an epiphany last night about changing the POV of the final chapter, I think I've got it. I think I've got it!!! Thinking about it just gave me goosebumps (again). Only four (of 46) chapters to revise and a few tweaks to some others. And then . . . done? Maybe?!

2. marshipan

marshipan Senior Member

That's awesome! Congratulations on what you've accomplished so far. :)

HeathBar likes this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin The bastards hung me in the spring of '25.... Contributor

I love Heath Bars. My mother makes me an ice cream cake with lady fingers, coffee ice cream, and crushed Heath Bars. Every year. And I'm about to turn 41. Long live Heath Bars!

Zombie Among Us and HeathBar like this.
  4. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Contributor Contributor

Congratulations about all that work!

5. HeathBar

HeathBar Member

Thanks everyone! Trying to keep the momentum going.

And Homer, this sounds fantastic!

Alan Aspie likes this.
  6. HeathBar

HeathBar Member

Just came back to read this to spur momentum. Original post was two weeks ago. Still positive, still motivated, but my day job has been stifling my writing euphoria. But . . . I have worked some. One of the four chapter rewrites is finished, two more are underway, and one I haven't touched yet. I also did some research on using song lyrics in books (one of my MCs always has songs stuck in his head), and realized I need to remove all lyrics that aren't absolutely necessary. The permission process is seems INSANE. Folks told me that, but in my hubris I thought it wouldn't be that big of a deal. So far--luckily--removing the lyrics hasn't been material because the song titles revealed enough about the song/feeling/theme for my purpose. I may need to swap songs if that's not the case as I keep editing. But that's doable. It's all doable, just need to get the work done. Happy writing!

marshipan and Alan Aspie like this.
  7. HeathBar

HeathBar Member

Alright. 12:46 and I have an empty house (an empty house!) for the next 24 hours (24 hours!). I've finished 3.5/4 chapter rewrites (needed to change POVs in those chapters - I had too many people talking). The half remaining chapter is the last chapter, and I'm holding on that for now. Currently 102057 words. 46 chapters. Goal for the next 24 hours - start at the beginning. Edit/revise as I go. Check continuity. Fix issues. Supplement things I know I need to supplement. Take out non-essential song lyrics. Finish the last chapter. Make it sing. I can't even hazard a guess at how many times I've revamped this and how many hours that's taken. I literally have a two foot stack of marked up drafts in my office and a half dozen notebooks/legal pads with notes scribbled in them. And I've written on my phone, on airplanes, hotel rooms, at work (shhh), at home, in bed, on the couch, in the kitchen, dictated while driving, and on and on and on. And it's gotten so. much. better. I'm chasing the light at the end of the tunnel.

8. Alan Aspie

I know that light at the end of the tunnel. Usually it's train.

But.. You know... Trains are nice. We need them.

HeathBar likes this.
  9. HeathBar

HeathBar Member

All rewrites are rewritten. I suspect some of it still reads very first-drafty, but it's on paper. With the expertise of this group (thanks Martin!), I figured out how to get it on my Kindle and plan to read through it while I'm traveling later today, legal pad and pen in hand. It's pretty cool seeing my work on the Kindle - it looks (or maybe just feels?) so much different than looking at it on my computer screen in Word, or even printed out. This is how I read real books. I read Richard Yates' Easter Parade on the trip out here, which is the only reason I had my Kindle with me in the first place. (Very good book, although not sure it was the "best book I'd never read" according to PW.) It occurred to me last night that I should try to get my MS on the Kindle to read on the trip home. I'm hoping the experience changes my editing lens and I can see things I don't see in the doc. After this re-read and revision, I'm hoping to give it to my very patient husband to read again. And then, maybe, maybe?, start querying?

Alan Aspie, marshipan and Maverick_nc like this.
  10. HeathBar

HeathBar Member

I revisited this thread today and am regretting the exclamation point in the title. I actually looked to see if I could remove it. Needless to say, today feels less giddy than when I started this almost three months ago. Still positive, but just wondering whether the editing will ever. be. finished (?). Every round of edits has made it better, but it's so much work. My spouse is reading it again now and has a great eye for continuity and finding opportunities to leverage thematic elements and IDing those spots where the prose just doesn't sing. The feedback is spot on and thinking about how to incorporate edits and rework certain parts literally gives me goosebumps (because it feels that good). And compared to how much work I've put in so far, it's not a lot. But I get so excited every time I complete a round of edits thinking it's there. But not yet. Almost. Again. Still. Just keep writing and stop using exclamation points.

Alan Aspie and marshipan like this.
  11. Alan Aspie

Editing will not be finished. It's not something for passive sentences.

You will finish editing when you will finish it.

The best time to finish is when you can't make it better. If new versions are not more compelling, tempting, enjoyable... Then you should have finished a bit earlier. The gut feeling of reader tells you the most important things about this.

Raising text is like raising kids. They must get they independence just before they are ready. Then they get they own life. If you raise/edit/hone/educate them too long, they'll be spoiled.

Edit as long as editing makes it better. Stop when not. Choose better version. It's your manuscript. Hopefully it will become your book.

(Sorry, but I can't call manuscripts books like so many in English speaking sphere. It's book when anyone interested can buy it, not before.)

Catrin Lewis and HeathBar like this.
  12. HeathBar

HeathBar Member

Yeah, I'm not there yet. The edits are making it better. The edits are becoming increasingly minor, but still improving it in not immaterial ways. I do think I'm close. I never anticipated how much work this would be (this is my first manuscript :). Seriously. Every time I make it all the way through (again) (currently sitting at 104,528 words), I think that's really it this time. It sings. But then it's not really it. I still get goosebumps with ideas to incorporate (which, again, at this point are increasingly minor) but it's not just incorporating one idea into one spot because the new ideas are typically enhancing thematic elements. This is probably a woefully inefficient way to edit, which might be part of my problem.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  13. HeathBar

HeathBar Member

Goal for the next two weeks: finish editing. I need to partially rewrite two chapters and incorporate other relatively minor feedback. And since I'm feeling particularly slasher-y today, darlings are going to die. In two weeks I go out of town. I'll give it one more read through when I get back and then I'm going to start querying. I think it's very close.

14. HeathBar

HeathBar Member

Have I said I hate the exclamation point on the title of this post? Because I do. My day job is drowning me. Other than an hour or two on a plane, I haven't had the time or mental energy to even look at my MS in nearly a month. And the time away has shaken my confidence. What was I thinking? I don't have the time to devote to this. I know, I know. Where there's a will, there's way. But I don't have much will right now. Groan. Sob. Whine. Goal for now is to get my head straight and make time to get back to writing.

marshipan likes this.
  15. Alan Aspie

I don't know what kind of support we are allowed to give but... Exactly that amount of that kind of social support from here to there!

Getting things better is a good goal.

HeathBar likes this.
  16. HeathBar

HeathBar Member

Thank you, Alan Aspie. I think even grumbling on here made me feel better. I just wish I had more time. (But who doesn't?)

Alan Aspie likes this.
  17. Alan Aspie

You are welcome.

Sometimes getting stress down frees time or energy for something else.

I use a voice recorder quite a lot. I make notes while walking and write them later down.

I hope you can get things organised.

18. HeathBar

HeathBar Member

Yes, this:
    And one day I will accept that I have the mental and emotional bandwidth for only so many things at once. And sometimes the writing bandwidth might be a sliver -- and that's okay. Which reminds me of playing the computer game The Sims (decades ago!), where you house and feed and entertain virtual people. If you wanted them to do X, they would refuse until whatever want/need they had was met. Not rocket science: be pro-active about wants/needs to you can make more room for X.

With that lead-in, things are coming along. Word count is coming down (currently 103,577) which is a good thing. Probably won't decrease much more. To do list: finish tightening Part 1 (of 3). I'm nearly finished. Then move onto Part 2 - this will take the most time because I want to rework one chapter, but not a lot of time (relatively speaking). Part 3 is in good shape. It's all really meshing - so much so that I tweaked the query letter I wrote months ago . . . and I actually think it's pretty good.

I can tell I'm reaching the end because I'm getting whispers about my other (shelved) WIPs. So long as the whispers don't turn into screams, the goal is to get the current WIP buttoned up before switching gears.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  19. HeathBar

HeathBar Member

WIP is at 102,995. Tighten, baby, tighten! Edits to Part I are finished. Now going through Part II. Difficult to describe, but this round of editing feels different. It feels patient. I don't feel rushed or stressed to finish. So I'm thinking maybe that's a good thing. And I'm thinking that might mean that the bones are right where they need to be -- I'm satisfied with structure, themes, characters, their arcs, etc. This round of editing is a slow and very deliberate. Incorporating a tidbit here or there. Tightening or improving language. So, feeling pretty zen right now. I'm also traveling next week, which means I should have more time than usual to work on this (plane writing is the best writing).

marshipan likes this.
  20. HeathBar

HeathBar Member

All rewrites are rewritten. And I really like it. Going to read through again and then focus on the query. It will be out of my heads by month-end. Scary but exciting.

marshipan likes this.
  21. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

Yay! And from what I hear, you've totally done the right thing by giving your ms a thorough edit before sending it out.

Well done!

(I say "from what I hear" because I've chosen to self-publish. But I can say the same thing for putting the book up for presale on Amazon. Not good to make oneself sick staying up late before the publication deadline catching typos and plugging plot holes.)

HeathBar likes this.
  22. HeathBar

HeathBar Member

The query has left the building. It feels good. (Until months go by with no response; but it feels good for now.)

marshipan likes this.