1. Tiamat384

Tiamat384 Member

Hello All! From Never Never Land..

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tiamat384, Dec 1, 2015.

Hello everyone. I'm glad to have become a part of this community. I have only found it yesterday, and immediately joined without prior knowledge of its existence. I come here as a mediocre writer hoping to spread some of my creations. I am an open book, that is very very shut. So ask any question, it will be answered. But words are words and there is more in between the lines.

Question! Or perhaps a suggestion. A "Dialogue" Forum area would be very nice as this is where I struggle (and therefore do not add dialogue) so unless I have missed it or it is a part of perhaps the Character or Plot Forums. Personally I believe it deserves its own. Anyways. How is everyone? And ask away. Good day!

2. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Welcome here!

Depends what you want to discuss. For just interaction between people you might try the Lounge :) but if it is specific questions (or just brainstorming) with regard to your story you just insert them into the appropriate section. I for one am very satisfied :D

Anyways, welcome! :)

3. Tiamat384

Tiamat384 Member

Well where is the appropriate area for discussion of Dialogues? Seems like a fun place. Will certainly become more engaged over the winter and even after tonight. Thanks for the welcome!

4. Lifeline

You might try "Word mechanics". Just choose an appropriate title ;) and people will respond.
    I am sure I will not be the only one to welcome you, feel yourself made welcome anyway ;)

Tiamat384 likes this.
  5. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Welcome, @Tiamat384!

"Dialogues" is a farily wide subject and can as such fit in different sub-forums depending on the actual question(s) (e.g. dialogue format, how to write dialogue in the first place, character development through dialogue, etc.). So take a look at the questions you want to ask and see if they can fit into any one of the different categories. If you can't find a suitable place the question would probably fit the best in "General Writing" (but don't be lazy and put all your questions in there).

Also, if you haven't done so yet you might want to take a look at the New Member Quick Start. It should give you a better overview of the forum and our rules.

Enjoy!

Tiamat384 likes this.
  6. Tiamat384

Tiamat384 Member

Hopefully not. I hope this is a close community that connects with each other. Thank you :)

Lifeline likes this.
  7. Tiamat384

Tiamat384 Member

I shall try to find the sub-forum it belongs to then, though to me it's more how to do it overall, placement and the like. I have glanced at it and will look at the rules shortly. Thank you very much for your welcome by the way!

8. Lifeline

Oh yes it is! Definitely!
    Just hang around, as it is in all forums it takes a bit of time to get to know the old dogs ;)
    But there are enough people here that you will never lack for support - and believe me I know. Just started not that far back .. let say I started without any story and now am about a quarter finished with my first. So.. I don't have any complaints!

Tiamat384 likes this.
  9. Tiamat384

Tiamat384 Member

Hmm, how long do you plan for the story to be? I hope to create something. I have the problem where I have plenty of potential ideas, but nothing concrete because there are so many possibilities! Perhaps I'll largely lengthen one of my previous writings.

10. Lifeline

I have done a bit of research and currently I am looking at about 100,000 (fantasy). But I never know, my story basically gets written by my MC's

I am still processing the surprises :D

11. Tiamat384

Tiamat384 Member

100k words? That's quite an amount. I am terrible at long writing. Who, or what, are MC's?

12. Jones

Jones My body is ready

Welcome aboard

13. Lifeline

To the contrary, that is 'normal' story length for fantasy. Much longer and you might get on the wrong side of the publishers. Much shorter and you won't be able to tell the whole story.

MC is just a shortcut for 'Main Character'. Your hero :)
    And by the way, 'Word count' is abbreviated usually 'wc' ;), used quite often around here.

14. Tiamat384

Tiamat384 Member

Thank you for that knowledge! Well sheesh....I write way less than that. How do you do it! The pacing and all of it. I tend to go heavy into detail. I lack severely in dialogue. Hmmm, I need to rethink everything. What MCist by the way! "Hero"! Why not villain! Kidding of course :)

Lifeline likes this.
  15. Tiamat384

Tiamat384 Member

Thanks.

16. Lifeline

Don't worry, you will get used to the slang around here in a hurry.

I also thought I wrote less but then the story took off and now.. *shrug*. It just happened. So don't make any definitive statements yet ;)

17. Tiamat384

Tiamat384 Member

I think I want to work on something I had earlier. Except that before ( the general topic is journey over the course of a few days, all metaphorical) the days were mere paragraphs. I think it'd be fun to add much more detail and , make it , not less metaphorical, but filled more with image and perhaps story. Do you plan on publishing? Hope there isn't much slang to learn.

18. Lifeline

Not a whole lot. Up and on I still stumble over an abbreviation, but that really is minor. Just ask nicely ;) and you will get an answer :)

There is a place for every story, even if you only write it for yourself. Not every story needs to get published, sometimes it is enough that you have joy in writing it. That is my motivation, surely. If it amounts to something others would enjoy, well, I will cross that bridge when I come to it. For now it certainly is fun for me and my Alpha/Beta. Oh.. another slang term:

Alpha aka Alpha-Reader = someone who reads the story first. Usually family, friends, people you are really familiar with.
    Beta aka Beta-Reader = someone who reads the story to critique. Family/friends are sometimes hesitant to offer a real honest opinion, at least that is what I think (and please critique me if I am wrong here!). This forum can help you find readers to critique, but be prepare to get a real critique *smile*. It is not always easy.. :rolleyes:

And before you post your story or excerpts, read the pertinant sticky threads here as there are some legal issues involved in posting stories that you want to offer to agents.. Just a friendly hint :)

19. Tiamat384

Tiamat384 Member

Thanks for more information, and I agree completely. Family and other close ones such as friends tend to love us too much to really critique us. People, such as on this site I am sure, are much better in terms of feedback. But the critique, or lack thereof from family and friends can always serve as a boost in morale. So long it doesn't go to our heads. So far I have not had much negative critique, but I myself often despise that which I have created; there are exceptions of course.

Hmm, I'll be sure to do so. I'm not sure I'd ever get published though. Nor to the point of completion, unless it is a very short project. But I'd love to share with everyone here once I am able to.