1. Chesster

Chesster New Member

How do.!!? It's a pleasure!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chesster, Jun 16, 2014.

How's it going guys and gals of the writing forum?

I signed up a few years back as research and didn't post at that time. I just had a scout around and a read of the wisdom that is shared and on offer.

I've been writing all my life and even when explaining cooking methods, or simple trips to the shop for daily groceries to my daughter, I tend to really lay it on and add weight wherever possible. Sad I know, but children are without doubt, the holders of the greatest imagination. William Blake paints that very picture brilliantly with Innocence/Experience.

I'm currently in the middle of writing my début novel and enjoying every minute. Especially the research. The opportunity to map everything out prior to getting started is also an opportunity to learn a completely new subject, or sharpen my knowledge on geography in a specific area, or history of a specific time.

Anyway I shall leave it there and wave goodbye... For now..!

2. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Hi Chesster, and welcome back. :)

In case you haven't checked this out yet, we've whipped up a new guide for newcomers where you can find updated information about the forum.

Hve fun! :)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  3. Chesster

Chesster New Member

Hi KaTrian

Thank you for posting the noob link. I had a good read a few hours back, and have since spent the last few hours darting here and there reading all kinds of threads and posting a comment or two. I'm really looking forward to becoming a part of this amazing writing community and sharing the odd chapter along the way.

I hope Solus - The Darkness of Space: a sci-fi adventure is going well.

Take care!

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Welcome, Chesster. :)

I do have to say that your bright orange typewriter avatar is cheery, it is. :D

[​IMG]

5. Chesster

Chesster New Member

Many many kind regards to you Wreybies, all the way in Puerto Rico!

I am feeling very welcome!

6. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, Chesster, and welcome! I, too, love your typewriter avatar. It says it all. Reminds me of the typewriter I learned to type on back in the early 70s - an old manual thing belonging to my sister. That, and gallons of liquid paper, got me through my first "mature" stories.

7. Chesster

Chesster New Member

Thanks Minstrel, very much appreciated!!!

I am such a romanticist. My house is full of retro objects in odd shades of orange. Or blue. The type writer is an amazing tool to write. No electricity. Portable. An most of all (my favourite) no ridiculous time wasting opportunities to surf the net, when experiencing a bout of writers block.

My local art centre come theatre did a brilliant exhibition a few months back, called "A Play In A Day"
    They placed a typewriter on an old fashioned school desk on the theatre stage and got around 50 members of the public to come in and write a page for the play. Then on completion, the following week, the in house drama group did their best to give the piece justice. It was an amazing approach to free writing, but also art and drama and that little old typewriter got the ball rolling.

minstrel likes this.
  8. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

I envy your ability to enjoy preliminary research.

9. Chesster

Chesster New Member

I take my hat off to writers pre Internet, because spending a week or so before setting out and bookmarking articles, blogs, images etc is easy work. Prior to the Internet, I imagine many many hours were spent trawling city centre libraries, and a ridiculous amount of copying large segments of texts was undertaken.