1. RichieMarcus

RichieMarcus New Member

"Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?"

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RichieMarcus, Jul 9, 2016.

I suppose that's one way of saying hello.

I could start with saying that, like 99% percent of people on the internet, I'm terrible at introducing myself. But I'm going to go the opposite way and say I'm fantastic at self-intros. Yeah. Going against the grain. Take that, society.

Anyways, the main reason I'm here is to sharpen my writing skills and have some fun with short story projects and the like. I also hope to gain some constructive criticism for my novel I plan to eventually publish, but that will come later.

Beyond my love for creative writing, I also enjoy gaming, being a smart aleck (spell-check does not like this word), and have recently gotten into classic movies and TV. Hope to make a few friends on here and learn a thing or two.

bonijean2, Nicoel and Oscar Leigh like this.
  2. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

Welcome to the forum, Richie! Take a seat, make yourself a cup of coffee (or tea, or whiskey, or orange juice... you know, whatever floats your boat), and dive right on in.

Here's the new members guide, which will tell you how to get started and how to get your own WIP's (Work In Progress) in the workshop to be critiqued. I recommend you read that, and then get involved in the community and do some critiques!

If you need any help or have any questions, feel free to ask.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the madhouse! :D
    A lot of people do say they are bad at introductions. But don't be all "rebel", it's actually rather mainstream. Difference should be left to it's own devices, not forced. Find the actual diversity, and real interest, and celebrate that!
    But anyway; here's your lovely free member's uniform!;
    Straightjacket for WritingForums.jpg
    :p
    And have a beautiful day! :blowkiss: Oscar out!:brb:

4. RichieMarcus

RichieMarcus New Member

Thanks for the uniform! While it is comfy, I'm having a difficult time stirring my half-tea, half coffee with a shot of whiskey and a orange juice spritzer, so I had to hold the spoon with my teeth.

I took a peek at the member's guide before I introduced myself and I'll certainly take an in-depth look soon. See you all around!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. VynniL

VynniL Contributor Contributor

Warm welcomes @RichieMarcus :)

I caught your post in the google docs thread and thought it better to say hello here.

I'm awful with intros too and I read back all mine in other forums and always cringe. Anyway, looks like you've met the WF mascot (@Oscar Leigh) and seriously... no one wears that uniform but Oscar, and usually when he wants to bounce about in his padded office. But he keeps us all entertained and I'm sure he welcomes the company.

I look forward to reading your works and I highly recommend entering and voting in the WF biweekly competitions: https://www.writingforums.org/writing-contests/

Cheers,
    Linny

6. RichieMarcus

RichieMarcus New Member

Hello to you too.

I that that it's difficult for most people to introduce themselves because they're so used to their own lives it seems boring and redundant. Though it's pretty easy to come up with any sort of nonsensical gibberish to use as an introduction on an online forum. Why just say hello when you can make your first impression...interesting, to say the least. It's like if when I greeted people in real life, I lopped my shoes off, did a handstand, and shook hands with my feet instead. It'd be a memorable experience, thought whether that be a good thing or bad thing depends on the individual.

And I just realized my 'spontaneous crap' filter was turned off. Turning it back on.

But seriously, I'll be around to give opinions, ask questions, and have some fun while doing so. I'll definitely have to look into participating in a competition later.

VynniL likes this.