1. Baeraad

Baeraad Senior Member

Hello all!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Baeraad, Jul 16, 2019.

I'm a 38-year-old man from Sweden, and writing used to be my big interest. I wrote a whole bunch of fantasy novellas in my twenties. But, then gainful employment happened, and my energy and inspiration sort of went bye-bye.

Well, fast-forward to now, and I've started feeling like I absolutely need to do something creative again or I'll go insane. So I've started writing again. Once again it's short stories and novellas, set in the same overarching setting - this time a fairly dark one which is inching towards an apocalypse that no one is sure how to even begin trying to stop, because apparently ten years have made me even more cynical. I still like how it's shaping up, though.

I also figured communicating with other people who write will make me more likely to stick at it, so, well... hello! :)

Maverick_nc likes this.
  2. Spurs06

Spurs06 Member

Hello,
    I've also returned to writing recently and the forum members have been very helpful. Good luck with your return to writing.

Baeraad likes this.
  3. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Welcome, from a fellow apocalypse fan(atic). :D

Baeraad likes this.
  4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi Baeraad! As one of the moderators here, I've been meaning to give you a personal welcome to the forum.

I'm delighted to be welcoming an experienced writer back to the writing game. I know how real life can interfere with the creative process, although sometimes retirement can have the same effect. It's easier not to waste time when you have little of it to waste. Suddenly you have all the time in the world ...so you slack off. That's what happened to me, anyway. I wrote like a demon when I was still working full-time, and now that I've retired it's tapered off. I, too, need to get going again.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll find lots of people here who are in similar circumstances to yourself—wanting to get back to writing again, after a bit of a hiatus. And you'll find (if you haven't already) that fantasy/apocalyptic settings and plots are very popular with our particular community of writers.

Are you thinking of publishing/self-publishing any of the novellas you wrote before? Sounds as if you have a fair number of them. Or maybe wait till you have a huge hit with your present Work In Progress, and then produce your earlier stuff as 'undiscovered gems by Baeraad.' Always good to have a few of these up your sleeve. :)

Anyway, if you haven't already done so, I would check out this link. New Member Quick Start It was written expressly for new members, to get them off on the right foot. It contains links to other parts of the forum that might be of interest. It also explains the requirements a new member must meet, before posting original work on the forum.

Here are a couple more links that are also useful to new members.

Forum Rules

https://www.writingforums.org/threads/constructive-critiques.20627/

Anyway, take your time, participate in any forum discussions that seem interesting. Explore what's 'under the hood' by trawling through the menu bar. Let us get to know you while you get to know us. If you encounter any problems, feel free to 'start a conversation' with me, and I'll do my best to help. Just click my glass owl avatar, and then click 'start a conversation.'

See you around the threads. Have fun!

Cheers,

Jan

Baeraad likes this.
  5. Baeraad

Baeraad Senior Member

Thank you! Glad to be here. :)

Hmm, not with most of them, at least not without extensive rewrites. There was this one story that I was always very pleased with and which seems to hold together for the most parts (there are a couple of lazy plot contrivances that could do with being replaced by something better), but I just can't get the first couple of chapters right.

jannert likes this.
  6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Maybe if your find yourself at a stuck point with your current project, you might want to revisit your old one with a notion of finding a better way through the plot. A Eureka moment can hit, where you suddenly see a way to work it out. Just think about that story from time to time, and see if your subconscious mind can come up with a solution.

OR you could give it to a couple of trusted beta readers. Maybe they can give you suggestions.

If you have finished the story (the older one you're pleased with) you will know where the story is headed. The job of your first couple of chapters is to launch your story in the right direction.

Try to tie your opening chapters into the ending, in some way. This can be a thematic connection, or the opener can make your characters' purposes/feelings clear, or set up the actual conflict. It's easier to get a beginning right, once you know the ending.

7. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Hello, neighbour!

We know. We stole those together. It happens to swedes all the time.

All the energy went to Norway. All the inspiration went to us in Finland.

Danish wanted to have that. I can't figure out why.

This is Nordic co-operation. It works well.

Baeraad likes this.
  8. Baeraad

Baeraad Senior Member

This explains so much. :eek:

Oh, and if your username is meant literally, I can tell you that I also have an Aspergers diagnosis. Autie solidarity, and such. *fistbumps*

jannert and Alan Aspie like this.
  9. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Yeah.

Aspie in my nick means that I'm an Aspie.

I suspect that forums like this have closets full of neuro atypicals.

jannert and Baeraad like this.