1. Suffering-is-Beauty

Suffering-is-Beauty New Member

curious about a writers convention

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Suffering-is-Beauty, Apr 25, 2013.

So I'm just curious if anyone has ever gone to the writers convention in aspen that takes place in July. I was thinking about going possibly, but it'll be expensive to fly out, so I was wondering if it was worth the money.

2. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I'm not familiar with the one in Aspen. Are there any taking place closer to where you live, so you could get a flavor of one first? They can be expensive enough, but adding on flights and hotels can increase the cost by double or more.

3. jeepea

jeepea Member

I know of a person who went a couple of years ago and I understand that he enjoyed and learned from it. He is an English teacher and writer of literary fiction, if that gives you any indication as to whether you might benefit. I wish I could tell you more, but I never actually spoke with him about it, only heard second hand.

Also, it's just a 3 hour drive from where he lives to Aspen, so that might have helped make the conference worthwhile.

4. Suffering-is-Beauty

Their are a few smaller ones that take place up here in the great state of Wisconsin, but none that I found that have agents attend. I go to local ones just because their great, but actually meeting the agents and the authors was what made the trip more appealing. that and the thought that I could ship my kid off to my parents for the week and spend some time with my girl.

5. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I always think it's great if you can go to one where you can meet agents, even if it's just to hear them talk. If Aspen is convenient or desirable for you, then go for it.

6. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Hi there,

I've seen another poster on here asking about a writing convention in Aspen, and that got me thinking, "Writing Convention? I should really go to one, considering I'm a writer!" But what I'm asking is this: I don't have enough money to fly or go anywhere apart from the UK, and I was wondering if anyone knew of some writing conventions coming up either this year or next year. They can be big or small, but I would just like to get a general idea (and maybe talk to some publishers and agents!). :D

I did do a quick search and found out that the World Fantasy Convention is taking place in Brighton this year, so I will go to that as a reader and general writer, but I will have finished my post-apocalyptic book by then and wouldn't mind talking to some people about it (31st Oct- 3rd Nov). Would post-apocalyptic count as fantasy (please be aware that there's nothing like mutants in it, but there is, I suppose, a general feeling of 'otherworldliness')?

Sorry for the long post; answer away! :D

7. Suffering-is-Beauty

I don't think fantasy has to be all magic and dragons. I too have a post apocalyptic book that I consider a science fiction/fantasy as the world doesn't really exist. I say give it a go because the worst thing that will happen is you learn something. that's my view on the one in aspen.

8. Xatron

Xatron New Member

Post-apocalyptic without the mythical or magical element would be sci-fi, not fantasy. Fantasy is a genre of fiction that commonly uses magic or other supernatural phenomena as a primary plot element, theme, or setting.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

are you referring to the one put on by the 'aspen writers' foundation'?... it's in june this year, though...

the only ones i can find in july are:

Naropa University Summer Writing Program

Scribes & Scribblers Creative Writing Camps for Kids

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's not really a 'should'... while some may think it's helpful for beginners, many pros and seasoned writers never go to any writers' conferences...

11. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I don't think writer's conferences are as big here in the UK as the are in the US. Personally, these kinds of events are not really my thing, but if you really want to go, I don't see why not go to the one in Brighton. You'll still get to meet other writers and agents some of which will represent the genre you are writing in.

12. Quille

Quille Member

I have been to a couple of World Fantasy conventions and they're great. Unfortunately haven't attended for a few years, so can't say if it is still true, but World Fantasy was a 'business' type of convention attended by a lot of writers, editors and publishers.

It doesn't matter if you're writing science fiction or fantasy, Rob Sawyer goes every year and I don't recall him writing any fantasy. Also, people like David Hartwell of Tor buy both SF and fantasy. Even the panel discussions seemed so much more informative than those at my local conventions. They had a 'meet the author' night, with all the attending 'greats' in one room, some people lug around boxes of books to get signed.

I hope you have a wonderful time:)